April 11th was the final day of work of the famous gastronome “Eliseevskiy” in Moscow. It closed for an indefinite term. The shelves of the deli that has been working for 120 years are empty now. But people still want to get inside – to take photos of the legendary interiors.
The gastronome in the historic building at the corner of Tverskaya Street and Kozitsky alley was opened by merchant Grigory Eliseev in 1901. It has been the place to buy exotic food products and rare wines. In the 1920s the store was renamed to “Gastronome №1”. In the Soviet time it was considered the most famous deli of the country because of the unusually wide range of goods offered for sale. In 1992 the gastronome was privitized and since then it has changed owners several times. Now the store is looking for a new chain-operator. The authorities announced that the store, which is the subject of court proceedings between lessees now, will be preserved for the public.
“Always for sale: black and red caviar”