3 thoughts on “The Mine Built Soon After the War”

  1. These mines are never safe – some have dangerously high levels of radiation. You need a special filter and a pancake alpha probe to detect radon decay daughters which are trapped on air filter.
    Seriously, these people are risking their lives taking these photos.

  2. Don’t be alarmist and don’t spread misinformation.

    No lives are being risked here, or even in places where radon gas is present.

    This is NOT the case for person employed to work there thought, exposed constantly during the working day, in which case, protection needs to be worn.

    But for explorers making a short-term visit, then while they will be certainly be exposed, the level of radiation is extremely low and the short duration of the visit makes the risk negligible – unless repeated and accumulated to increase the dose.

    You’re at greater risk from meeting some horrible airborne mould or bacteria from the damp and poorly ventilated space, as this can make you ill fairly quickly, and have lasting effects. I would be surprised if the Soviets didn’t bother too much about using the nasty variety of asbestos, and that does not dissipate once ingested, unlike radon gas.


Leave a Comment