Yaropolets village is often called Russian Versailles, and it could really be if itsmansion and its church would not be in a dilapidated condition.
The Church of Our Lady of Kazan has an unusual and rare composition of two symmetric parts interconnected by a cross pass-through which serves as a vestibule for the both parts. The northern part of Yaropolets belongs to the family of field marshal Z. Chernyshov, the marshal himself died in 1784 and was buried in another place but his remains were subsequently brought to the crypt of the church.
“The architectural monument is under protection of the state”.
The hole in the floor leads down to the vault where the remains of field marshal Chernyshov are kept.
There are graves of other members of the Chernyshovs family in the church too.