The Sunni Mosque or the Mukhtarov Mosque is a historic mosque on the left bank of the Terek River in Vladikavkaz. The mosque owes its name to the Azerbaijani millionaire Murtuza Mukhtarov who financed its construction in 1900-1908.
The Sunni Mosque is known for its beautiful setting against the dramatic backdrop of the Caucasus Mountains. It also used to serve the Ingush residents of Vladikavkaz before they were expelled from North Ossetia in the 1990s. The mosque has been protected as a historic landmark since 1934. In 1996, it was badly damaged by an explosion.
In the Soviet time here used to hang a Foucault pendulum.
The windows are covered with cellophane tape from inside.
During the mosque construction they spen two years for all paintings.
The note asks not to touch the radiators.
Here used to be paitings instead of the white columns.
But the architecture monument is decaying. Last year a 1,5m painted piece fell off from the ceiling in this corner.
In 2008, the republican and federal authorities promised to restore the mosque by its 100th anniversary but it was never done.
Though some millions of roubles were invested in the restoration. Probably they were spent for such works… It sooner resembles a decoration in some kindergarten.
New high-rise buildings are growing next to the mosque, we hope it will manage to survive next to them.