After a six-year restoration, they are opening the Bolshoi Theater.
This is a foyer. Now the parts of the complex are connected by underground and above-ground passages.
A great view of Theater Square.
One of the fifty new make-up rooms.
Seventeen elevators appeared after the restoration. This is a control board of one of them. In fact, there are two more floors underground with different mechanisms.
Venetian mosaic restored by two fragments found.
The auditorium seats 1768 spectators. Before the restoration it had seated 2100.
At first they used candles for lighting up the Bolshoi Theater. In 1863 they began to use gas-filled chandeliers and thirty years later electric ones. They even built a separate power station nearby which was to supply the theater with electricity.
They have restored old canvases picturing muses.
A buffet. It is located on the fourth floor now.
Some of the bricks of this wall belong to the 18th century because when the theater was being restored in 1825, they used brickes left after Napoleon’s invasion.
This is a rehearsal-and-concert hall. Just 70 meters away from it there is a metro station but it makes almost no noise. It is also going to be an audio recording studio.
This is a transformation stage which consists of five independent stages. It can go down at a depth of 20.5 meters in just 5 seconds. It can turn into an orchestra pit, an orchestra and choir hall or into an auditorium seating 300 people.
This is a central foyer. The tile was made at the same factory as the original 19th century one.
Left side, coat check of the orchestra seats
The fabric was also restored after some samples preserved.
The banisters are made of alabaster. It is thick and semitransparent.
The doors have also been restored.
In the 19th century, nobody but the emperor and his suite, was allowed to be in this hall. It is called the emperor hall.
Its acoustics is stunning!
Sitting on the furniture is prohibited!
Gobelin tapestries were so old that it took them five years to restore them!
The chandelier has a weight of two tons and a diameter of 6.5 meters. They spent 300 grams of gold leaf to gild it!
In the 19th century this theater had one of the best sound quality in the world. However, by 2005 it lost up to 50% of its acoustic characteristics.
Now the acoustics has been restored completely and hopefully, the theater will soon win back its status of one of the best acoustic theaters of the world.
150 workers did the gilding. It took them four kilos of gold to do that!
It is a papier-mache statue.
Six upper levels of the theater are connected with each other by means of the so called circular corridors in the way they were designed in the 18th century.
This is a new drop-curtain. It is embroidered with words ‘Russia’ and double-headed eagles.
One of the cloakrooms.