Would you like to have a rest from your city fuss and enjoy peace of some remote and magic place? Visit the Palace of Khan, the main historical sight of Bakhchisarai city, Ukraine.
The word ‘Bakhchisarai’ is translated from the Tartar language as ‘palace of gardens’. Local cedar cleans the air perfectly making breathing easy.
Several parts of the palace, small and big mosques, the cemetery, gardens and other premises are located on the territory of 4 hectares.
The Palace is a former residence of the Crimean khans and the only example of palace architecture that belong to the Crimean Tartars in the world. The khan residence used to be situated in a valley. But as time passed there was not enough space left in the palace. This made khans move to another place of residence.
Construction of the palace that used to occupy 18 hectares of land started in the beginning of the 16th century.
In 1736 Bakhchisarai was conquered by the Russian soldiers. Their leader ordered to burn the residence but make a complete description list of all constructions before.
When the Crimea became part of Russia the palace accommodated the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Now the palace embraces a museum devoted to history and culture of the Crieman Tartars. The largest mosque in the Crimea was built in 1532. The Northern Gates and the Tower are on the left.
The ceiling of the big mosque.
9 khans, their relatives and servants are buried at the cemetery.
The bathing room is the oldest building of the palace. It is divided into two parts which can be used by woman and men.
The bathing hall for men was used up to 1924.
At the times of Khans the Palace Square was covered with sand.
Persian Garden and Sokolinaya Tower.
You can visit the museum free of charge.
The Divan Hall. Divan was a kind of local Parliament. Ceremonies in the Divan Hall were often ended with a dinner during which the khan gave a golden cup to the most respected guests with his own hands.
The summerhouse with a fountain made of white marble.
The small mosque was used by the Khan family members.
The Harem complex consisted of 4 buildings and over 70 rooms.
Nobody except khans and eunuchs could enter this part of the complex.
However, that doesn’t mean that Khan’s wives were isolated from life: many of them actively participated in political life of the country.
Golden Room is situated on the first floor.
Some other pictures related to history and culture of the Crimean Khans.
The room of a bride.
The famous ‘Fountain of tears’ differs from regular European fountains. The Crimea had always faced difficulties with water supply. Such fountains were erected at sacred places and denoted heavenly sources for those who died for Muslim faith.
According to a legend, the Crimean Khan married a princess without her consent. The Khan tried hard to get her love but the girl was deaf to his requests. Then another wife of the khan who got very jealous killed the new love of the ruler. The fountain was built in the memory of the perished princess and became a symbol of grief and sorrow.
The Red Army soldiers were buried next to the walls of the Palace.
The tank participated in releasing the land from the German occupants.
Walking along the ancient streets of Bakhchisarai.
And don’t forget to taste the wonderful dishes of Tartar cuisine.