17 thoughts on “Black Sea Resorts of The 50s”

1. This and a new FEMEN post was put on this site about the same time. I bet I’m the only person who clicked this post before clicking FEMEN! 😀

I love old photos from decades past!

2. Propaganda photos, people in the USSR never had a good time!!!

I opened up the Fementsi page but beat the temptation and closed the window before looking at it. I probably would have clicked on the pic source where they don’t have the black squares. So satisfying to beat a temptation, not that anyone here even has a clue of what I’m talking about.

• You are absolutely wrong at all.
      I lived in Sochi where all those pictures were taken and they represent our usual everyday life in 1960-s.

3. Yeah right, I believe both of you. 🙄

Very nice big ship and cool old photographs. But that lady in the second picture almost looks like she only has strings tied around her breast. Skin colored bathing suits aren’t always a good idea.

Thanks for post.

4. Yeah, I looked at the Femen page first, and I didn’t even try to resist. 🙂

As for these photos . . . whenever I see idyllic representations of Soviet people smiling and having a good time, I always look at the faces and wonder which ones are reporting the other ones to the police or KGB.

• You’re too cynical. Though I’m sure they looked around before swearing, in case someone informed on them for allegedly cursing Stalin.

5. Chris has no idea what he is talking about! Millions of USSR citizens had vacations at the Black Sea resorts every summer – some groups like miners from the North had free vacations to the South, as it was called. Most Russians and Soviet citizens I have met have some times been to Black sea resorts several times in their lives. My guess is that Chris believes in much of the untrue anti-Soviet propaganda and takes this for the full truth.

6. Yes, the hard repressiones took place at stalin´s time (1930 – 1953) and yes, milliones of soviet people went to the black see in the summer holidays (from the 1950 and up till the end of the soviet era in the late 80´s), no we prefer Turkia, Greece and Egipt

7. Well, it’s true, during “bloody dictatorship” Stalin’s rule, everything was very good. Eat it, boergeois eating propaganda and thinking they know truth, lol/

8. Hey People…. I am Russian and have lived in Tuapse, Black see town from 1967 to 1993. Ha, guess what? The best time in my live. All people are the same, does not matter where or how they live. We were as happy as you are in Florida. Get yourself ticket and fly there on the beach of Black Sea and see for yourself!!!