The Kursk Atomic Power Station is located in Kurchatov city on the bank of the Diet River. The station consists of four power generating units with general capacity of 4 GWatt – one of the three largest APS in Russia.
Outwardly the Kursk Atomic Power Station is almost a copy of the notorious Chernobyl NPP but safety is on top-level and almost nothing depends now on the person.
A museum where it is told in details how the station works.
The principle of its work very much reminds a water cycle in the nature – steam submitted on the turbines, is formed directly in the reactor. As heat-carrier usual cleared water circulating on the closed contour is used. After that fulfilled steam in condensers of turbines is cooled in the pond-cooler near the atomic power station.
The majority of questions was certainly about safety and ecology. The safety on the atomic power station is stricter than in the Kremlin. Each passage in a building has a check point, where documents and equipment are checked.
Everyone is given a personal dosimeter.
Each power unit includes the following equipment: uranium-graphite reactor RBMK-1000 with auxiliary systems, two turbines K-500-65/3000, two generators TVV-500-2, 500 MW each.
The station is ready to finish the building of the fifth power unit. Additional electronics must be added and introduced into the general protective system.
The heart of the atomic power station – the main reactor.
The main reactor is situated in a concrete mine and represents a cylindrical laying of graphite columns. In apertures fuel channels and emergency shut-down rods are located. All operations are carried out by the computer in order to exclude the human factor. A slightest departure from the norm or a pressure jump disconnects the whole system.