The Cold War Museum (exhibition complex Bunker-42) is a military historical museum and an entertaining complex founded in the former classified military object of the USSR – Alternate Command Center of Long-Range Aviation (GO-42). The territory of the museum represents an underground bunker with an area 7000 m2 located 60 m deep near Taganskaya metro station. The museum has been working since 2006 after Bunker-42 was bought from “Rosimuschestvo” at the auction by “Novik Service” company.
Construction of the object began in 1951 due to the threat of the nuclear war in the USA. For the construction there was used the same equipment as for the construction of the metro. The tunnels of the complex are connected with the Moscow metro.
In 1956 the object was transferred to the Ministry of Defence. It was functioning as a reserve command center of the Long-range aviation headquarters.
In the 1960s the object was equipped with everything necessary in the case of nuclear attack. Later, in the middle of the 70s, there was made up a decision about its reconstruction. In 1995 the object was totally declassified. In 2006 “Novik-Service” purchased the object for 2,166,700 USD and started its restoration. Only massive armoured doors and steel sheathing of the walls remind about the former classified object.