The Sweetest Gold

This gallery shows the process of extracting honey from a hive. Though these beekeepers are just the beginners they managed to extract 70kg of honey this year being stung only twice.

Only at first sight their work seems to be easy: checking beehives in a protective suit …

The Sweetest Gold

In fact they have to know very much.

The Sweetest Gold

They always need a lot of such frames: bees swarm and it’s necessary to catch them and put in a new hive, and hives fill up very quickly.

post-3-12777320471420

On the frames they span a wire and fasten unrefined beeswax.

post-3-12777320683824

post-3-12777320941980

post-3-12777321133485

Sometimes they make “two-storied” hives.

post-3-12777321346245

post-3-12777321585617

This frame has become too small for the bees, they have built honeycomb beyond it.

post-3-12777321837103

Young bees use all their strength to gnaw through “the lid” of the honeycomb. Several days they are fed by other bees and when they become strong enough they fully come out.

post-3-12777322039458

The Sweetest Gold

They cut off comb capping – mixture of honey, wax and bee ferments – this substance is valued about 10 times higher than honey itself! They affirm it to be very useful for cold treatment.

Frames rotation.

The Sweetest Gold

The guys are near a honey extractor. On the table are knives for comb capping.

The Sweetest Gold

The desired moment – honey is flowing on the filter.

The Sweetest Gold

And this is “honey lava” inside of a honey extractor.

via igorpodgorny

24 thoughts on “The Sweetest Gold”

1. I like the picture of the bees living “outside” the frame. You just can’t put a frame into living beings and except to never go outside the limits, you just can’t =D and tha’s the beautiful part I guess.

2. We have a new phenomenon here! People were bitten by bees, I’ve never heard of that before.

Maybe russian bees evolved into a whole new species of biting bees? Here they just sting.

3. The bees have an interesting political life. The Queen, her male harem of lovers, the workers, the drones, the slaves, the guardians of the hive, the nursemaids for the baby bees.

Seems to run like clockwork because they have no individual personality like us humans do. The bees do all this work for free and then we eat the fruits of their labor on our biscuits. Now I’m hungry….;))

4. A. Bunka here, Douglas makes an interesting point if people followed orders like the bees, communism would have worked.

• In a way a hive is communist; if you serve no useful function, you get “liquidated”. The males, once having fertilized the queen, are superfluous, and are destroyed.

5. Most people don’t realize how good honey is for you. Probably one of the best things you can eat. Also good for wounds too.

But they better find out what’s killing off the bees, or we’re gonna be in a world of hurt!!

• I think that idea that bees are dying off is a leftist plot. I was very alarmed when I first heard about it, however there is no shortage of bees at my house. Same amount of bees now as there were in the 70’s.

6. I don’t see Bees as often as I use too!

I was alarmed when I heard that myself.

I have been mindful of them ever since.
    I don’t know where you are but I am in Virginia.

Maybe it’s different where you live?

Bees are definitely cool! 🙂