Moscow vendors

moscow_02

The Moscow streets used to be decorated by syrup carts, kvass barrels, flower stalls, balloons vendors… Where is it all now? Soon there won’t be stalls, everything has moved to supermarkets. Fine that ice-cream is still can be bought in the street. Here is the selection of Moscow vendors old pictures.

Food shopping stalls in Sukharevka, the beginning of the previous century.

moscow_03

moscow_04

M. Petrov – an ice-cream vendor. On the cart an advertisement of the famous chocolate, sweets and macaroni factory of Johann Ludwig Ding can be seen.

moscow_05

An ice-cream vendor, 1934.

moscow_06

Ice-cream, 1947.

moscow_07

The shop-window of Eliseevsky grocery, 1950.

moscow_08

Probably in 1955 this lady had “piroshki” (patties) in her basket.

moscow_09

Abundance in the Moscow shops of 1956.

moscow_10

One more ice-cream vendor in Tverskaya Street.

moscow_11

Piroshki? Ice-cream?

moscow_12

Vegetables vendor, 1975.

moscow_13

Drinks: a lemonade vendor, the beginning of the previous century.

moscow_14

moscow_15

A carbonator cart, 1947.

moscow_16

The most beautiful soda machines were probably in the 60s.

moscow_17

Syrup and water for 4 copecks in the end of the 50s.

moscow_18

Kvass vendor in the open air celebration. The 40s.

moscow_19

Beer. Pay attention to a splendid blue trashcan.

moscow_20

Kvass vendor in 1975.

moscow_21

And these are new model machines, the 80s.

moscow_22

Papers and cigarettes: vendors of 1926.

moscow_23

One more cigarettes stall.

moscow_24

moscow_25

The cigarettes stand, 1947.

moscow_26

Flowers: mimosa in Pushkin square, 1941.

moscow_27

moscow_28

Flowers near Metropol, 1947.

moscow_29

Here is the entire flower market in Komsomolskaya square.

moscow_30

Markets: trade at Dorogomilovsky market, the end of the 30s.

moscow_31

Tsvetnoy boulevard. Central market.

moscow_32

The stalls at the Yaroslavsky station. 1959.

moscow_33

Central market, 1963.

moscow_34

moscow_35

The “accidental” market of the 90s.

moscow_36

Miscellaneous: shawls, 1900.

moscow_37

The bookstalls near the walls of China-town, at Il’inskiye Vorota.

moscow_38

Balloons.

moscow_39

The vendor of weight information. 1989.

moscow_40

The void vendor. 1991.

moscow_01

68 thoughts on “Moscow vendors”

1. Wow. I wish I could have been a tourist and seen USSR.

I’ve been to modern day Moscow and lots of the small kiosks for flowers, street food, and magazine/papers are still there. My favorite were the ones in the underground walkways. The little kiosks really do add to the feel of Moscow.

Ha, in Azerbaijan they still have the guys on the street that charge a small fee to weigh you, I’m not sure I’ve seen that in Moscow.

2. Two remarkable things about those sparkling water vending machines:
    * They had only one glass cup… (The hygiene conscious would carry their own mug.)
    * During my one-month stay in ’87, I never saw a machine with the cup missing/stolen.

Are those machines still in service?

3. Cities without street sellers lose part of their life.
    I like that in my country cities.
    And don’t like this obsession of mayors, taking the sellers from the street.
    This pics of old Moscow are awesome. Make me wish to travel through time and be there to a visit.

• Hahahaha, tu também é brasileiro?
      Se for, que mundo pequeno, hein?
      Nós temos algumas coisas similares, exceto a parte do vendedor que informa o peso XD
      Realmente: esse post ficou muito bom.

4. I love street vendors and open markets. When I was young in Arizona, in this little town called St. Davids, there was this roadside stand that sold the best vegetables and fruit. Now it’s just a great memory from my childhood. Anyway Thank You for the Wonderful Post!

5. As late as 2002 many street vendors could still be found in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Near every metro station there was a mish-mash of kiosks, tables and wheeled carts, selling anything and everything.

Most of them are gone now. In their place are soulless, sterile malls as can be found anywhere in the world.

6. Best picture is the one where the old lady looks in awe at what appears to be grapes or dades at Central Market as if they are Fabergé eggs… Also love the shop names, a stall selling cigarettes called: Cigarettes… Brilliant!

7. facinating story. I’m from Poland, not far from Russia but i can’t imagin how people may live and be happy in Russia. This is sdtrange country with great corruption.

rafal
    oto-ja.pl/index.php/profil/userprofile/rafal

8. On the 30/12/2009 it will be the
    8Thousandth day since the Chernobyl Disaster. I just thought it might be worth a mention due to all the lives lost, and that will be lost due to this tragedy, and I think this would be a perfect heads up time to remember them.

9. i9ip8943u8954tuh8954tgu89jtrg89u43
    t54g9uirtg89ujt4ru89t4gu89tr4t545454y785u8956
    uiihdfjikrfgtiyugifuirewierwi9ujtrwutruieeryuuitr
    yuhuyhuyhty34i893y78954gw89jitrwuieyuigewew
    er9iuweu89reuj8954ytr8erio54eui56
    jihhjj2458905478054547832`9578978489054789346723478048954

10. Tell us more about this move to supermarkets. What are the arguments pro and con? Is it a matter of political influence on the part of big supermarkets? Are the street vendors seen as a threat to anybody?

11. Today, in Soviet Amerika, it is illegal for any person to sell anything inside a city as a street vendor, unless they have paid many taxes and submitted many paperwork forms to receive a business license.

12. I love the nice Russian people in the photos. How many were informers for KGB?

Why can’t my people be nice and stop the protests, so that I don’t have to kill them? I do everything to make them happy, but they turn on me like Russian mail-order bride after husband pays her air ticket to London.

Peace out,
    M. Ahmadinejad
    Persian People Pleaser

13. Dear Finnish Englishman, can you please delete my comments 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29. I would not of made them all had you published the first comment I submitted, right after I sent it. I am thanking you inadvance for your time and consideration.

TaupeyAna Hendaye

14. The IRS e-flie system is now open, most W-2s and 1099s will be in mail in the next couple of weeks. Is everybody ready for tax time?

15. I just want to leave you an quick comment to thank you for your website!
    I absoloutely liked your webpage!!! Would you care whether I put up an backlink from my website to your site?
    Keep up the good work! Much Thanks!
    Daniel

16. Wow this game looks uber. How is a guy supposed to get any studying done with amazing distractions like this?!?!

17. I stopped smoking over the weekend and its beginning to hit me today. My spouse tells me I will not handle it but I am so strong on this I can’t fail. This morning I started feeling painful sensations inside my belly and I absolutely want to have a drag. I will never give up since I am making this effort for our kids. I’m lucky to have the electronic cigarette. It’s been beneficial to me.