“Retro” is in fashion today, so we will look through the old issues and the new ones to see what was funny many years ago and pretty recently. It turned out that that the jokes are like dresses- the older they are the less attractive they become, and we laugh now at something what was serious and important then.
• “Emperor Nikolay Pavlovich doesn’t like “Ogonek””. 1927
• “”Don’t kiss!” The epidemical disease of the year- flu spreads through kissing!”. 1927
• “Comrade, don’t sleep! Everyone has already subscribed to “Ogonek” and “Ogonek Library””. 1925
• “Ask at the all book stores “At the madhouse” book by S.Broide”. 1925
• “Sale of former royal property is in front of us- Royal flea market! It’s a typical narrow-minded holiday. Can you imagine, Nickolas II dress is now on sale and also Alexandra Fedorovna’s chief uniforms, Olga Nikolaevna’s stuff, palace portiere with services and carpets are now available…Real, actual royal belongings. What can be more splendid?”. 1925
All the vogue
Husband (with fright): “Honey, what has happened to you? Why do you have a band-aid on your eye?”
Wife: “Band-aid?! This is my new hat!”
• In Clinton, CT, USA it is forbidden to have a tiger on a rope walking on the street. All cats in Alton, IL must have small bells so birds could know about their approaching.
“You know, my dear, they say next year the furs to wear will be shorter …”
“Gotlib Gotlibovich and Mary Ivanovna Narvet family from Cvetnopole village, Omsk region has six children. This year the triplets is finishing the first grade, they are Yasha, Vitya and Sasha. No one can distinguish the boys from each other”. 1967
“Students of London University and Royal College annually compete in “racing with pancakes” contest. A winner is the one who doesn’t drop any pancake from the pan”. 1967
Photo credits: 1