55 thoughts on “USSR Again”

• why you think its propaganda?? Because you see happy faces? you think sovjets never smiled like you see on american movies or what?

• visitor….I don’t get your humor…but things at school are fine thank you…I believe we have one of the best school systems in the world. That’s why we were first in space i guess.And don’t tell me USA had first atomic bomb internet and first man on the moon, its true of course but you did it with german and even a couple of soviet scientist(stealth bomber). Only thing that’s good at your school system is that your food sucked so much the kids tried to invent something better, but they failed as a result we have Mcdonalds. how much US citizens are too fat about 60%?

By the way…how are things in Iraq Afghanistan and Guatemala?

• Didn’t the Soviets take “one or two” German scientists prisoner too after WW2?

Also, I never understood how food as bad as McDonald’s managed to catch on all around the world.

• There can be tree things in what people say – true, false and the propaganda (btw in Spanish the word means advertising). Then they tell to you not all the true but only certain part of it you’ve got a false impression about the subject.

• Alex, propaganda does not mean advertising in Spanish, it means the same as in English althoug sometimes it is used to mean advertisind.

• I think that the ladies on the farm in Kiev are laughing at a joke that one of them made- perhaps one of a risque nature. They look like happy people finding a good time, like working people from all over the world.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the sizeof the harvest. The propaganda is the caption. Why not just say “wheat harvesters in Kiev share a joke”? At least then we can all agree that humans are pretty much alike no matter where they live.

1. Well, lost, I don’t know. The grocery store looks peculiar, but even if the USSR is no more, the people are still there. Same over here: if I look at the 1960’s politics everything has changed, and for the better, but we’re still the same people. Dont’t worry guys!

2. there is a group of muslims who monitor youtube comments to pro & anti muslims videos, they make hit lists , & target people; (thanks google);

3. Love the pictures.There are many good side to that time, but bad sides as well.I think in the future we are better off with democracy and capitalism just for my country.But for the world it will mean that sooner or later the resources in the world will get exhausted. This wouldn’t be the case if whole world would be communism, everybody has just what he/she needs not more not less.Like Ghandi said:the nature provides everything a human being NEEDS! But if the human will get greedy he will destroy the world. Nobody owns 3 jets 5 cars 3 houses in USSR, you don’t NEED it. just luxury.

4. About the photo of the fashion show with the worker’s uniforms. . . does anyone else remember the old Wendy’s Hamburgers commercial from the 1980s–the one that satirized a Soviet fashion show?

It had a rather stern “model” who walked out on the catwalk in the same gray outfit and the same sturdy black low-heeled shoes every time. For “evening wear,” the only difference was that she walked onto the catwalk with a flashlight.

Fortunately, women from the former USSR can hold their own with women from anywhere, but I have to admit I thought that commercial was hilarious.

5. John from Kansas,

See the color photo of the construction workers with the red flag (about halfway down)? See the guy on the left with his arms stretched out? Is that Ted Kennedy? 🙂

I knew he was a fan of the USSR, but I didn’t know he campaigned there. 🙂

• Ha! I’ll go along with both of those. Luntz must have been calming the crowd after asking how they felt about Reagan. 🙂 And now that you mention it, the Steve McQueen look-a-like could pass for a double, especially his nose and the way he sort of squints when he looks into the camera.

6. Hey– the KVAS truck in the last photo… can they still be found in Russian towns?

I wouldn’t mind seeing them here in the States – a great drink for a hot summer day, tastes like a strong cider.

It’s made from fermented bread, isn’t it?

• Nowadays you would be more successful in finding all kinds of cola in russian shops. There are some brands of bottled kvas appeared last time over here but they have nothing common with THAT KVAS

• In Nizhni Novgorod in the summer kvass always sell.
      In the most brisk places of a city there are trucks with kvass.

Yes, it mades from fermented bread.

• Those cisterns were used to sell both kvas and beer.
      They were called “svinomatka” – “pig mother”.
      They were not always cleaned properly, so it was not unusual to have a layer of sediment swarming with worms at the bottom of the cistern.

• Kvas is delicious!

I first had Kvas in Turkestan, Kazakhstan in the summer of 2006! It was sold in a big yellow tank right outside in the bazaar where we were eating shashlik!

Since then I’ve been TOTALLY into Kvas. I live in Houston, Texas and have found a Russian store that sells bottled Kvas.

I’m pretty sure that the bottled Kvas I get here in Houston isn’t anything compared to the Kvas that is made in the yellow tanks throughout the former USSR, but hey! It’s all I’ve got Kvas-wise.

I cannot wait to go back to Kazakhstan to visit my sister’s husband’s relatives and get MORE KVAS!

7. i like to see the old militry glorry pics
    more of them
    also the world demands more pictures of big beaver fur hats

so when is the next revolution gona happen
    isnt revolution part of the russians blood

8. Never mind if some of the photos are taken and/or used to serve for political purposes i.e. as propaganda.

I suppose most of us are educated enough to understand that all of these photos still stand as an imagery of certain era in former USSR, now Russia.

What I find interesting is to watch the little signs of everyday life in the pics, not to mention people themselves.

9. I just can’t stop looking at these photos. they are precious. they are haunting. i’ve seen most of these things and they are very much alive in memory, but nearly every detail is now gone. How long has it been? Just 25 years – and it’s all all all gone. These posters, cars, pioneer ties, old tvs, newspapers they are reading – and the people themselves. It’s like living inside a dead kingdom now – and what a vivid recollection these photos are. Make no mistake, I hate USSR, but these pics are strangely attractive.

• All the remainings of the nation can do now is to moan about how worse things are now while shopping in ikea, eating in mcdonalds and try-and-fail to use cellphones. Good ol’ tin cans and wire covered with stars wtf, yeah. Humans are humans but the “nations” thing is just a fairytale(

10. Pingback: Tot el que es va perdre « Des del cim del Mamaiev