A Soviet Shelter

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 1

This is a shelter back from the Soviet Era and Cold War when every house had a shelter nearby in case of America attacking. Most of the things there are 20-30 years old, including the batteries, lamps etc. The glass retorts with different chemicals were used for testing the air on the surface and determining the type of attack – different chemicals indicated different type of attack: nuclear, chemical, biochemical etc.

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 2

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 34

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 35

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 36

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 37

nuclear shelter from cold war in Russia 38

via BW_dust

40 thoughts on “A Soviet Shelter”

• No that is not Geiger counter,that is Gas detector.I collect myself this piece of history.now they are just junk, but once the cold war was at peak ,these gadgets were so valuable.difference between life and death……………

• I dont think Cold War should ever be laughed at. On the contrary, we should always remember what happened, learn for our mistakes and reject any temptation to start a new one.

Peace 🙂

I love you all!

• It looks like your atomic bomb shelters were better stocked than ours. All the photos I’ve ever seen of American shelters showed boxes of stale crackers, water, canned food and gas masks.

Here’s to the end of the Cold War – may we never repeat it, or start a Hot War.

1. Amazing to find one in such condition. I would have thought that by now all the neighborhood shelters would have been looted, flooded, or turned into nightclubs.

2. Please clarify – I got very frightened looking at these photos!

You wrote:
    “The glass retorts with different chemicals were used for testing the air on the surface and determining the type of attack – different chemicals indicated different type of attack: nuclear, chemical, biochemical etc.”

Does this refer to the group of photos showing an open hinged wooden case with 20 sealed test tubes? When I saw these photos, I thought that they were (are) actual samples of dangerous materials, ranging from the not-fatal-but-annoying CS gas (tear gas) to the insanely dangerous VX Gas, which if actually used on the battlefield, would probably trigger a nuclear response. Reading the captions, you can see the following:

CS, CN – tear gasses (CN is more serious)

BZ – a superhallucinogen comparable to LSD on steroids

Adamsite (DM) – vomiting/choking agent

Chloropicrin – a World War I -era chemical weapon

Yperite (HD, H) – Mustard Gas (also WWI-era)

Hydrogen Cyanide (AC) – Cyanide gas

Sarin (GB) – Insanely dangerous nerve agent

VX – INSANELY INSANELY dangerous nerve agent!

Now… are these substances DETECTORS for the above-mentioned chemicals, or are they the ACTUAL chemicals themselves? If they are dectectors, I suppose I can rest easy, although how would they be used? In the event of an attack (God forbid), you would take this box outside, break every single tube open, and any reactions (or non-reactions) would tell you what the attack was? Does this make sense? Efficient?

My fear is that these are actual samples to be used for research purposes. Where were these photos taken? Is this a special command & control civil defense bunker, or does this represent the typcial Soviet-era CD bunker? In other words, can you find this box of chemicals in every bunker in Moscow? If these are actual chemicals, you need to tell the proper authorities IMMEDIATELY, so they can be secured. If they are real, the photographer is lucky he didn’t drop the box or touch the wrong thing.

I hope I’m over-reacting… please tell me these are just detectors, and “v’syo boodyet OK”…

• I suspect they may be ‘simulants’ so that if one encountered unexploded or poorly dispersed munitions, one could tell what they were. IE, compare the tube to the powder on the ground, or the color of the haze.

3. Interesting! reminds me of my one neighbors “fallout shelter” in the late 1970’s except it had more weapons and ammunition than food or water! What a putz!

4. In the US there’s lots of these, except on a much smaller scale. Any public school built in during the cold war has a fallout shelter. In high school the theater kids used to go down there to smoke pot, as the entrance was a hatch towards the back of the stage in the audotorium.

In my elementary school, there was this unexplained hatch in the gym on the side of the basketball court, that was the entrance. Same with middle school.

I don’t know if they had Geiger counters or a selection of chemicals… but they had provisions and such.

• I don’t really think so, we got the standard hide under our desk training but I was never taken to a shelter and there were no public shelters available anywhere except universities. however looking at them these days none of them would have survived even a nearby hit. I’m pretty sure the reason they stopped building them for the public is no one was expected to survive a full on attack. or even more perversely no one who saw the damage in japan WANTED to survive.

5. In that small first aid set on 2 and 9 pics there is so called ФОВ wich anti-poisoning chemical, it supposed to be taken after any kind of poisoning. But when we where kids we used to find many of those orange kits and take it to trip out, it is very strong hallucinogen, lasting for 5-6 hours, but if you are drunk and take one that pill you will become sober INSTANTLY like nothing ever happend before, no wonder why on pic 9 one ФОВ (FOV) pill pack (about 6 pills in each) is missing 😀

6. It’s amazing to think about all the production and work that must have taken place to create places like those……..all for nothing.

7. In Soviet Russia they had these well thought out and stocked bunkers and in America they had some crackers and taught the kids to hide under the desk when the bomb hits?

• Because in the case of a FULL NUCLEAR exchange, full blown shelters like this would be utterly useless in the end. There would be no survivors in any major city. Smaller towns in the countryside probably would only suffer minor contamination, so food and water for the near term would probably be all that is required.

Of course, even then, the USSR and USA had enough nukes at the height of the cold war to essentially kill each other off over 100x over.

Anything beyond a severely limited nuclear exchange, survival would be nil.

8. This shows that USSR really cared about its citizens. Show me something like that in the USA?

I know that there was a secret shelter in London undeground, but never heard that it had that much medicine, special cloth etc.

9. Those FOV pills are disgusting – once me and 2 other guys took two pills on each of us and the only thing I was hoping all the time was that the high ends, it’s annoying…

10. Pingback: wildfreshness » Cold War Links
  11. Hello, just found your blog but I have to admit that it seems great. I fully agree with you. Have a nice day, keep up the nice work and I will definitely come back.I just got in to the BF BC2 PC

12. hi buddy, I found your site from wikipedia and read a few of your other blog posts.They are cool. Pls continue this great work. Be tenacious and one great way is to land a temp job.