The Mikhaylovka casemate artillery unit was built in the north of Sevastopol Bay. This construction has survived the Crimean War and the WWII. Recently it was turned into a museum. The unit had been built since 1843 to
1846. Its ourdoor walls are 1.8 meters thick. After the Crimean War it was a storage and in 1920 it was used as a training unit for artillerymen. During the WWII it was used as a strong point again.
Thousands of former military men, are living in houses which are under the threat of collapse and have no heating. After the reduction of anti-aircraft forces in Moscow area, a lot of presidios became unnecesary,
so did the people who lived there. Most striking is the fact that these dangerous structures are located not in a remote village beyond the Arctic circle, but just 30 kilometers away from Moscow.