In 1951, when the Soviet Union was on its high, authorities had an idea of building special floatation devices for tanks. First sample workpieces for T-54 tank were made at in 1952, and, some several weeks later tests were carried out on the Oka river. In the next two years
trial test at the sea were conducted. And in 1957, eventually, the floatation device was passed into service. There were supposed to be as many as 187 (according to the amount of tanks) floatation devices on the strength of the motor rifle division.