The first exposition which showed the military condition of the Soviet Republic and the Red Army was organised in Moscow in the building of today's State Universal Store, and was opened by Vladimir Lenin on the 25 May 1919, following a parade in Red Square. On 23 December 1919 an order was issued for the formation of a museum-exposition "Life of the Red Army and Fleet" in the same location, whose purpose was to inform the public about the achievements of the
post-October Revolution Soviet Russia in military education, culture and political discipline in the Red Army and Navy. In 1951 the museum was renamed the Central Museum of the Soviet Army and in 1965 moved to its present location in a new, special building designed by architects N. Gaygarova and V. Barkhin. It was renamed once again, to the Central Museum of the Armed Forces of the USSR; it was given its present name in 1993.