A Georgian monk Maxim has been living on a 40 meters high limestone monolith in Imeretia for twenty years. Katshiysky Pillar has been worshipped by locals since pre-Christian times as a place where a human
being can become closer to God. The church on the mountain was built between the VI and VIII centuries. It was found out in 1944 when only the foundation remained from all the structure.