25 Russian Solovki Islands in Winter

Russian Solovki Islands in Winter

Posted on December 26, 2015 by tim

The Russian Solovki Islands are home to the Solovki monastery. It is located in the middle of the White Sea - deep in the Russian North. Since the days there now are the shortest days of the year, it is possible to take photos only for a couple of hours, so the photographer - Petr - was very worried he would not have enough time to take his photos in the two days he planned to stay there. No worries - photos went very nicely and here they are, thanks to Petr we can enjoy the Northern beauty of this place.

Also see this:

25 Responses to “Russian Solovki Islands in Winter”

1. tamtam says:

It’s like something out of a winter wonderland postcard!

Russia has some gorgeous monasteries, no doubt of it

2. za manula says:

Very nice thank you.

3. dean engler says:

good to see the posts again

4. ausGeoff says:

Is there any logical reason as to why all these images couldn’t have been posted on one single page? Having to click through only two images at a time totally pisses me off. I just can’t be bothered. Sorry.

• fastestboats says:

what pisses me off is people not supporting this very important site
      if you register the images will all appear on one page

Being what I thought was a well educated American this sight has completely reversed my opinion of the Russian people!

it is so important that it remains so that others can have experiences similar to mine so please support it

5. fastestboats says:

what pisses me off is people not supporting this very important site
    if you register the images will all appear on one page

6. john says:

That is one massive and impressive place. Beautiful to.

7. za manula says:

Someone know if there are hotels? Thank you.

8. Alper says:

Why did they need a castle to defend themselves so far north and isolated?

• www says:

Together with the Sumskoy and Kemsky stockades, the Solovetsky Monastery served as an important frontier fortress with dozens of cannons and a strong garrison. In the 16th to 17th centuries, the monastery succeeded a number of times in repelling the attacks of the Livonian Order and the Swedes (in 1571, 1582 and 1611).

9. Geoff says:

Wow! Just, wow! How beautiful this looks

10. Martinus van Brederode says:

Beautiful photos, thanks.

Solovki used to be one of the oldest and harshest camps in the Gulag system because of its isolated position and cold climate. There’s probably not much visible from that anymore.

11. Oscar Goldman says:

This kind of posts is what made me return to this site

12. Martin says:

It was a first soviet prison-camp for political prisoners – russians, ukrainians, estonians ……
    There was more than 1ˇ’000’000 prisoners at all times.
    The most of them was on 01.01.31 — 71 800 (http://www.memo.ru/history/nkvd/gulag/r3/r3-317.htm).
    More info:
    If You can buy this book, please read this book with attention and give it to Your friends that they can too understand, what regime it was and what our country’s and nations (all post-soviet country’s) had suffered.
    There is more info if You liked to explore what and how it was:

13. Martin says:

This beauty is surrounded by bones and death and humans pain and suffering. This is not the holy ground, its cursed land and doorway to hell.
    How one country, nation – rossia, russians – can do this things to their neighbors and think that now we can live together and build future as nothing happened?
    It’s like – I kill your brother and dad and great-dad, rape your mom and sister and eat alive your dog/cat, and then I’ll ask: why You don’t likes my, why you dont want my new-year kiss or gift. We are the neighbors, why do yo hate me???

• Oscar Goldman says:

“..This beauty is surrounded by bones and death and humans pain and …”. (?) Boy, if Americans think like you do, they would be struggling every day remembering all the Indians they had to slaughter to steal their holy and beautiful land… Here’s a hug.

• Asmodeus says:

Martin, you’re not fooling anyone. You’re as “russian” as a ketchup filled hot-dog.

14. Martin says:

I’m sorry, english isn’t my 1,language and I’m so pissed off about this “new glory and beauty”, so my grammar isn’t good. In many places my=me…..

• Oscar Goldman says:

Don’t worr, boy. I understand that you get very “pissed off” by the beautiful landscapes of a foreign country…. Next time, try to hide better your dark and compulsive adgenda in posts filled with amazing pics from another country.

• Asmodeus says:

Martin, if your clearly American Grammar gets “pissed off” by beautiful pictures from another country, you only have a self esteem disorder. Don’t worry, it’s only yours.