11 900 km Over the Russian North

900 km Over the Russian North

Posted on November 25, 2015 by team

Blogger Sergey Dolya had a flight from Arkhangelsk-Varandey at the height of 900 km over the Russian north, along the shore of the Arctic Ocean. He shares his photos of wonderful intricate patterns he saw from the window of An-24 airplane.

That very An-24.

Technician drained some liquid...

Also see this:

11 Responses to “900 km Over the Russian North”

1. kraken says:

900km from plane. Soviet tech always best ;)

2. Vijay says:

Very nice blog, thanks for sharing. EnglishRussia must make an ebook of its site and then offer it. This might perhaps interest some.

3. Frank says:

If you fly 900 Km high you are in outer space.

4. tamtam says:

Wow! Incredible!

5. unclemymy says:

The technician was draining fuel from the lowest point in the system. If there is any condensation (water) in the fuel, it will come to this point. The technician can see the water in the clear jar, and drain until it is all gone. He pours the inspected fuel into the bucket, so that it doesn’t damage the tarmac, or create some other hazard.

6. ARIF says:

AFAIK the draining of the liquid is a check that there isn’t any water in the fuel tank. (Water could get in as condensation, etc.) The fuel will float on top of water, so if there is any water, it will be at the bottom of the fuel tank. You drain a little bit of liquid from there, and if that’s fuel, not water, then you’re good to go. Or at least that’s what I think it is. I’m not 100% certain and I’m partly guessing this. Maybe someone else can refute or confirm.

7. geezer says:

Yes, 900km would be in a medium earth orbit. I think he meant 900m. The technician is draining the water out of the fuel tank, or at least checking to see if there is any, so that the engines don’t suck up any ice. Kinda ruin your day if the engines quit, even if it was only 900m and not 900km to fall!

8. ARIF says:

The reason why unclemymy and I and geezer made identical comments is because at the time I penned mine, unclemymy’s wasn’t publicly visible yet (i.e. wasn’t mod-approved yet), and I’m pretty sure it’s the same with geezer. Now this looks a bit daft what with us all saying the same thing, but I’m not sure how to avoid this kind of stuff.

9. iFlyBudgies says:

fluid drained is fuel – checking for water contamination -if water mixes with fuel = disaster – engine stop.
    Fuel and water do not mix so separate in glass jar. If all fuel in jar tank is safe.