9 People Still Live Here

People Still Live Here

Posted on February 16, 2015 by tim

0_97755_46d471c9_orig

Russian blogger Alexander, pretty much popular local blogger, was traveling to Russian region Karelia – an area bordering Finland in North-West part of Russia and then in one small town he said he was attracted by a wooden house that according to him was in rather shocking condition. That’s what he says:  “I was walking around and found this house. You won’t believe people still live inside. People tend to get used to everything. I was afraid to get inside of others people house but my curiosity took over and I made a step in”. Want to see more? We can, thanks to Alexander:

So this is how the house looked from outside. He says it was a pretty nice house for the year it was built but now “It is an old hut living in which is like living in hell on Earth”.

9 Responses to “People Still Live Here”

1. ed brown says:

I bet, those who live in this house voted for Putin
    and hate America.

• Louie says:

Likely they did vote for Putin as 85% of Russians did. There’s a good reason for that, their economy,income,pensions and public services have improved 10 fold in the past 10 years under Putin. They don’t hate America because their news media mostly reports facts wich do not include opinions with a need to sell a story. Most Russians are unaware of the opinions toward them that westerners have learned from their TVs.

• Jackob says:

Omg… U are stupid or just troll ? Maybe they love USA and hate Putin?

2. Ben says:

But there are a lot of old buildings made from natural stone or wood not concrete or plywood, here in Europe where people live in such or similar conditions. It all depends on what you like an when the last renovations and necessary repairs and upgrades were made… this old wooden structures are usually a very good base for acmoderate modernisation if one can find the specialists to do it properly

• Andrew says:

Modernization of this scrap? Are you joking? To build new home(s) is easier and cheaper.

• Ben says:

Andrew, often the foundations und overall technology to build was far better then than today. If one understands on how to use this as a base for modernisation…. i do not believe that todays modern architectural structures will last more than half a century.

3. Leigh says:

Yeah I am a big fan of using native local materials in construction. Most people don’t realize that modern construction uses a lot of toxic chemicals in the materials used, or that most new homes are built like the fast food industry, cheap and nasty, but look good. The modern idea is to produce homes that only last 20-25 years before they need to be pulled down and rebuilt, its basically planned obsolescence. Wood buildings are also able to handle earthquakes better than other materials. All it really needs is a bit of work and maintenance, those rough cut boards may benefit from some linseed oil and turpentine mix when summer comes.

4. Shea says:

I LOVED this story, and the pictures speak volumes! Namely, that in the whole world, poverty is UNIVERSAL. I can see a lot of the same things, in these pictures, that I recognize from seeing similar’homes’ here in America (the southeastrn Appalachian Mountain region, parts of Kentucky and Tennessee, the deep south of Alabama and Mississippi, and, more and more frequently, owing to the millennium ‘depression’ that seized our country – and the middle class of America, by the proverbial throat – several years ago, in the general Midwest). Why do people STAY in these conditions? They have nowhere else to go. There are millions of people in this country now having to live on a monthly amount that many once (when they had good paying jobs, before the Recession/Depression) spent weekly on eating out, alone. Where the ‘average’ rent of a 2 bedroom apartment goes from $900 to $2,500 a month and BEYOND – and incomes have remained stagnant for a decade (many of us are still using 1995 income to pay 2015 rents – does not leave anything for food or utilities, trust me). So many are forced, as a result,to seek out places to live that, a few years ago, they wouldn’t have deemed liveable! And many more simply cannot afford the regular upkeep of their homes now, so things tend to slide into disrepair as the family struggles to continue putting smaller and smaller meals on the table.
    In 2001, I was making almost $75,000 a year between a full time corporate job and weekend freelance work, had a NEW Camaro, lived in a nice newer home, ate out every other night, wore nice clothes bought new every week or two… a car accident and subsequent disability, coupled with the overall decine in America’s economy? And now I live in a tiny public housing apartment of less than 300 square feet, get used clothes from a local pantry (and some foodstuffs, not the best quality, no secret there) or continue wearing clothes I’ve had for fifteen years now, holes and all. When a lightbulb burns out, it’s a MAJOR inconvenience for me, and I often have to go without something else in order to subsidize the lightbulb replacement…. I can imagine how hard these people must be struggling, to make a living in such – what did someone call it, squalor? – because I’ve seen it here. I KNOW it from personal experience. And things can always get worse. Iworry we’ll see this become much more commonplace, in our world, in the days ahead of us all… But thank you, for a very personal and thought-provoking selection of pictures and your experience.