26 Soviet People

Soviet People

Posted on November 28, 2014 by tim

Another selection of colorful photos from back in Soviet times. Usually they are either in color but look like propaganda, or if they are more informal they are black and white. This time they are in color and don't look like propaganda. So let's take a look.

"Moscow vs St. Petersburg competition"

Just some people outside.

26 Responses to “Soviet People”

1. David says:

On the last pic of the first page there’s red car between the Lada and the Moskvich which is certainly not a Soviet model.

2. Gorilla says:

Yes, thank you for such vivid pictures. The despair in soviet people is usually highlighted with photos of poor and grey weather, but obviously you can’t change the weather in capitalist countries either.

The lack of selection in material goods does not prevent people from smiling and being happy, as happiness is based on other things. Sunshine was also present in the soviet union, as well as women with their beautiful legs, men that are polite and act smart, hard workers, big emotions, love and sadness, birth and death. I could watch pictures of soviet-realism for hours.

3. Andrew says:

4th pic “Granny and her kid” is very similar to Moskovsky Victory Park in Leningrad. I remember those concrete elephants, they looks very strange today. I walked there with my grandma in the same manner.

4. Lucy Parker says:

It is nice to see everyday life of common people. Thank you for the post!

5. Jon says:

Thanks again for the historical pictures. Few of us in the west realize just what the Soviets had just experienced and how far they had come since the horrors of WWII. I completely agree with the belief at the time that “first everyone should have enough”.

6. Alain says:

Stayed once in the Rossiya hotel: certainly the cheapest way to sleep with a view on the Kremlin (less than 70€, back in 2001). Shame they decided to demolish it, as, renewed, it could have been a wonderful palace ! Certainly some huge backhanders here and there…

• Sergey says:

It was demolished because it did not fit into the overall architecture of the city center.

• Pom2Ter says:

You’re lucky Alain!!! If wish I had the chance to sleep there before it was demolished :( how was it? what did it look like inside?

• Alain says:

Well, we had the luck to have a refurbished room : quality of a Novotel/Mercure, so quite correct. The breakfast was so-so, the lobby was full of hookers and mafiosi and there still was the unsmiling babushka watching you at each storey. So a nice mix of sovietism, derelict Russia and modernism, for a very honest price.

But I heard stories of people with old, soviet rooms, full of cockroaches that flee away when you switched on the light. Hopefully we did not have that :D

7. Lucy Parker says:

Sergey, I love your English. You remind me of the way my father spoke. He died, so it is nice to hear someone with “poor English”, I think how he would have said it.

8. Jon says:

Sergey,
    Don’t worry about your English. It sure beats my Russian which is non existent.

9. Otis R. Needleman says:

Thanks for the pictures. Living in the USA was a thousand times better than the lives these poor people lived.

• Alain says:

Well : I have been in NYC about 2-3 years ago, and parts of it were no better than Moscow today (I was especially ashamed with the local tube !). And I guess it was almost the same thing 30 years ago. Just different problems…

10. Elvira says:

And I miss the Soviet Union. People were honest, open and kind.

11. Gregabob says:

The picture of the couple with the little one in the carriage was so tender–the baby has such a beautiful smile, and the parents look to be so loving. Brought tears to my eyes– I wonder what they are doing now?