15 One of Russian TU-144 Supersonic Passenger Jets

One of Russian TU-144 Supersonic Passenger Jets

Posted on June 1, 2014 by tim

This is one of only sixteen ever built (as Wikipedia says). Fifteen of those had production numbers from 77101 to 77115. This particular plane is 77110. It has 247 flight hours, of which 116 hours were of supersonic flight. Since June 1st, 1984, this plane hasn’t risen up into the sky, so today so to say is its thirty year anniversary of total non-flying. Let’s see a few photos of it from 1984 until the present time, you can see the year of the photo imprinted on the bottom of the photos, which were prepared by Valeri Timoffev.

15 Responses to “One of Russian TU-144 Supersonic Passenger Jets”

1. Douglas says:

Is it true that these TU-144s are actually copies of the Concorde jet, made from “borrowed” plans?

2. Mick Rogers says:

Whoever said Russia was a dreary country should think again, its aircraft are as good as American ones and probably better from what I’ve seen

3. petrohof says:

well, it certainly did not earn its cost back!

4. Mick Rogers says:

A friend in the UK said the TU-144 was a copy of the Concorde yes Douglas, I don’t know myself

5. jacenuk says:

TU-144, first flight: 31.12.1968
    Concorde, first flight: 02.03.1969

• Pom2Ter says:

And what does that show? They got the plans a lot before the display of the concorde.
      ———————————–
      Sergei Pavlov, officially acting as Aeroflot’s representative in Paris, was arrested in 1965 and was in possession of detailed plans of the braking system, landing gear and the airframe of Concorde.

Source, wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-144#Espionage_against_and_influence_of_Concorde

• Lovap says:

You are completely wrong. See the shape of the most important thing of the plane – the wings. TU-144 has double delta shaped wings, Concorde has kind of gothic window shaped wings. They are VERY different. Also engine gondols are in different places etc.
        If Russians copied Concorde, why they make it different?

6. mitro says:

I don’t think that those TU-144s are not high-cost air planes. I did never hear its flight anywhere

7. Samuel Heinrich says:

I wish it would visit the OshKosh airshow in Wisconsin. Years ago I saw one RU plane at OshKosh, biggest transport plane in the world.

8. henrifr says:

French Concorde was a copy of it.

• Darius says:

I doubt very much. It is because in those times Soviet union had the attitude that what ever West was producing – the Soviet union had to have also (this is apart what was invented in Soviet Union)! What I mean is sometimes the produced their own version, then they would “discover” that it is not profitable to use it and would never use it again. It was the same with Buran – they spent lots of money to have it, but then it was never used again due to high cost per flight.

So also here I think it was built to show that Soviet engineering was as good as Western. But I think it was the West that has calculated how much it will cost and estimated how many customers they will have and then they have decided to built it.

But anyway in those times it was a lot of studies already from 1950s about supersonic transport, so no wonder that several engineer groups had ideas to build such plane. And then it all comes to aerodynamics – so all planes of the world have similar shape (wind shape) that fits best certain speed and flight mode. Even Shuttle, Buran and any other same type future space vehicles have the same shape – because it is the most optimal shape for that type of flight and those speeds in the atmosphere.

• henrifr says:

My previous post was a small provocation and you are absolutely right Darius. And your Buran example is a good example too.
        Years ago, I watched a reportage about soviet scientist, copying western technology was frustrating for these engineers. Furthermore, it had negative impacts on Russian ability to innovate.