7 Russian Malachite

Russian Malachite

Posted on January 4, 2014 by team

This gem can be justly considered Russian – only Russia has those huge deposits that made malachite world famous.

It is one of the most beautiful minerals. Its color is full of shades – rich palette of all green tones – from light-blue green (turquoise) to saturated dark green.

This stone consists of copper oxide for 72%, its color is explained by copper ion in its composition.

Malachite crystals are very rare and highly valued by collectors. Quite often it contains various admixtures which affect its decorative qualities. And on the contrary, it can be rich in inclusions which make it more beautiful.

7 Responses to “Russian Malachite”

1. Joe says:

NEED CAPTIONS

2. Joe says:

malachite cannot be “justly considered Russian”, it is found all over the world.

• yolo69 says:

well it was discovered by russians and was first put into heavy use in russia and most reserves are in russia so yeah lol it justly considered russian.

3. john says:

Great posting,just stunningly beautiful artistry.

4. regulator says:

Why is there a random picture of the dwarven fortress from ‘The Hobbit’ displayed on page three?

5. Pa Deuce says:

Beautiful! I worked in a copper mine years ago, and collected some small pieces of malachite. I was hooked. I have some malachite jewelry and a finely carved piece of three dragons rising out of the waves which I bought in China.

Many years ago, there was a story of a party held in New York. A woman had a necklace of malachite, and an exiled Russian nobleman commented on it. The woman replied, “Thank you. Malachite is quite expensive.” The Russian said in reply, “I know. My mother had a grand staircase of malachite.”

6. Anastasios Chatziargiriou says: