Comments on: The Mine Built Soon After the War Daily selected things from Russia and ex USSR countries. Published In English. Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:42:42 +0000 hourly 1 By: Hugh Crawford Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:18:30 +0000 Don’t be alarmist and don’t spread misinformation.

No lives are being risked here, or even in places where radon gas is present.

This is NOT the case for person employed to work there thought, exposed constantly during the working day, in which case, protection needs to be worn.

But for explorers making a short-term visit, then while they will be certainly be exposed, the level of radiation is extremely low and the short duration of the visit makes the risk negligible – unless repeated and accumulated to increase the dose.

You’re at greater risk from meeting some horrible airborne mould or bacteria from the damp and poorly ventilated space, as this can make you ill fairly quickly, and have lasting effects. I would be surprised if the Soviets didn’t bother too much about using the nasty variety of asbestos, and that does not dissipate once ingested, unlike radon gas.

By: wormster Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:46:36 +0000 Get back in your box mate!

Have you ever been into an abandoned mine or are you just an “Armchair Warrior”???

By: Oceania Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:05:32 +0000 These mines are never safe – some have dangerously high levels of radiation. You need a special filter and a pancake alpha probe to detect radon decay daughters which are trapped on air filter.
Seriously, these people are risking their lives taking these photos.