11 Soviet Foodstuff Catalogue

Soviet Foodstuff Catalogue

Posted on August 2, 2013 by team

These are some images of the Soviet foodstuff catalogue. But probably not so many Soviet families could put such food on their tables every day…

11 Responses to “Soviet Foodstuff Catalogue”

1. Robert says:

Afford yes – but in fact only available to the ..ahem.. nomenklatura

2. Otis R. Needleman says:

The items in this catalog, generally available only to the Soviet nomenklatura, were available all over the Free World to anyone who could afford them. And most of the foods shown here were pretty cheap in the Free World.

3. Soyuz says:

People only say nonsense. Of course people could afford this, in fact using FAO data, USSR was one of the better countries in food supply. You could watch it in FAO stats site. So stop REPEATING like parrots the stupid non-probed things about USSR and search the DATA and the FACTS.

• Edgar says:

You are repeating like a parrot stupid non-probed things about USSR. I lived there during soviet times. Shelves in groceries were mostly empty, and even if something was delivered for sale one had to wait in lines several hours to get it. I spent huge number of hours in lines during my life to buy simple things like sausages, fish or butter. I certain areas of Soviet Union people could buy something in local shops only if they had special coupons.

4. blvp2145 says:

Soyuz, could you post the links of the facts, then just saying it.

5. H.K. says:

Most of this stuff I see on pics was definitely available in Moscow in regular stores probably up to mid-seventies and it was quite affordable. I remember all these things from my childhood; the food was very good and tasty, ( actually better than American food) but even comparably to the end of the sixties the variety of products was already smaller. My grand-mother used to tell me that during Stalin’s times the variety of food was much bigger, but only well-paid people could afford it ( like professors, engineers) while the workers couldn’t. The visible shortage of food products started in Moscow probably at the beginning of the eighties. But that’s in Moscow – the best-supplied city; the supply to the rest of the regions was very uneven and some regions had bare shelves already for long time before Moscow has been hit with shortages.

6. LXK says:

Some of the meat products looks scary

7. Papa Karlo says:

I’ve seen pictures like these in my childhood. It easily seen that they are so heavily photo-edited, that none of this is real. My grandma had the official Soviet cookbook called “The book of tasty and healthy food”, and none of the ingredients described in that book existed anywhere in the Soviet Union except maybe in the homes of the high-rank CPSU officials.

Moscow was a totally different matter, though, you must remember that up until 1990s nobody could just come and settle in Moscow, as well as in Leningrad, Baltic republics, even Ukraine. You were supposed to rot your whole life in the central Russia.

8. Papa Karlo says:

Where I grew up, we had meat and butter rationing since 1979. Every person could buy per month, 3 pounds of meat products (which included anything remotely meat-related, such as animal food or bones or pig tails), and one pound of butter.

The only type of cheese which existed in stores was cottage cheese. I hate the darn thing until today.

9. Papa Karlo says:

Honey was available in stores, but it was likely 50% diluted with sugar syrup, that’s how thin it was. It did in fact look mostly like sugar syrup.