7 And Monastery for All

And Monastery for All

Posted on March 10, 2013 by tim

There is a small island near the St. Petersburg, on the big water plain that used to be called the largest lake of Europe, and so there is an island there, rocks, hundred year old pine trees, stuff like that. And it used to be popular a lot among the monks who went there to keep their different pledges, like vow of silence. Since then they've built themselves a monastery there which became one of the largest and popular ones, even Russian Tsars have paid their visits to the island and a monastery. Couple of centuries ago it wasn't that classy yet, the untouched nature, the wooden huts of monks - looked like a real hideout at that time.
And by the way on the top photo you can see the monk that vowed not to speak ever again, standing under some awesome pine tree of the past.

7 Responses to “And Monastery for All”

1. skopeil says:

priest sitting/standing near the river..what a nice view.

2. Robert says:

The island is Valaam, been there done that (twice).

3. George Johnson says:

Did he say why he vowed never to speak again?

4. IamBJC says:

Wow, so beautiful. Thank you for this website. I really enjoy seeing all these things–the sights, the people, the machines, ALL of it–from Russia and the former Soviet Union. While I *HATE* Marxism/Communism, I can honestly say that from everything I’ve ever seen about the former USSR and Russia I just love the people, culture, and history. What a rich history you have there! Such a wonderful place to explore and so many good, wonderful people. Why do governments have to ruin so many thing? Just LOOK at what this person shows us on this site? Do you think we would’ve ever known about all of this awesome stuff if it wasn’t for the fall of Marxism there? Even though I will probably never have the money to be able to travel there and see these things for myself (which I SO badly want to do) it is wonderful that this person is sharing it all with us on the internet. Even just the simple “day to day” things that we all take for granted in our own lives. To somebody from another country it could be one of the most fascinating things they’ve ever seen to watch a video documenting just the every day life of one of us! Thanks, again, for this site and I really hope you continue for a very long time. And thank you for taking the time to show us so much of your beautiful country and the former USSR. Now if only our GOVERNMENTS could decide to be friendlier to each other…imagine what life would be like THEN…

5. david guy says:

fascinated by the Russian culture and the people are amazing. Russia seems to be a lovely place to visit and would love to fish its lakes and streams.

6. andre says: