The project called “Lost Chukotka” is an attempt to preserve the history of Chukotka of the twentieth century. This land used to have its settlements, its own culture, industry, military power, it was the place where many people tried to survive. Today these places are history. Besides there are no many people left who can tell about this land, the land which is grown with tundra today.
One photographer, who lives in Anadyr, Chukotka, has presented some photos of the land and called the project “Lost Chukotka”. He was striving to visit as manyÂ Chukotian places as possible and show them to the world.
Once in July 2012, he started his trip from the river Amguemy.
He was fishing from the boat, wrapped the fish with salt in paper for three hours and ate it. What restaurant can offer you such food?
In three days he reached the place with a complicated name – Egvekinot-Iultin. The prospering place was severely flooded in 1995 and left by people.
The photographer had minumum of clothes, some food and a bicycle. The boat was left on the bank near some abandoned house.
Here’s how the place looks like in July!
Soon he found the settlement where in the 1930s people had found huge deposits of tungsten and tin. At the cost of thousands of lives, GULAG prisoners, there was built Egvekinot port and a 200 kilometers road to the deposit here. All the psocess took seven years. 1953 was considered to be the year when the village was born.
Three years later the local factory manufactured the first tin and tungsten ore concentrate.
Refuse heap next to the factory.
Here is the view of the village from the refuse heap. To the right is a high destroyed building of the iron and concrete profucts plant.
In front and to the left is a boiler house. It used to provide heating to the village.