The Russian Empire was the first country in the world which officially accepted armoured cars for service. It happened in 1908Â when the Russian army received ten armoured cars built by the French company Charron, Girardot et Voigt designed under the project of a Russian officer M. Nakashidze.
“Nakashidze-Charron” armoured car.
“Russo-Balt Type C”.
The vehicle got a very positive feedback from the military men, however, the pre-war development of armoured forces was over at that. One of the main reasons for that was a tragic death of M. Nakashidze in 1906. So at the beginning of WWI Russians had only oneÂ combat unit of armored vehicles – first car-machine-gun company, which mainly used armored vehicles “Russo-Balt Type C”.
Nevertheless, when they had to modernize the army hastily, the Russian army received several types of armoured vehicles rather soon.
The light armoured car of the Russian Empire equipped with a machine gun.
It was the first serial armoured vehicle put into service in the Russian Empire. It was designed in the beginning of WWI on the basis of the chassis S 24/40 of “Russo-Balt” company. In general eight vehicles were made in 1914, they were activaly used in war battles.
“Fiat-Izhora” – light machine gun armoured vehicle of the armed forces of the Russian Empire and the Red Army of workers and peasants. It was designed on the basis of the chassis of Italian Fiat manufactured under license in the USA. The mass production started only after the February revolution. In the period from 1917 to 1918 80 vehicles were built.
“Garford-Putilov” – a heavy armoured vehicle armed with a machine gun and a cannon. It was designed in the beginning of WWI with use of the chassis from an American truck of Garford Motor Truck Co company. “Garfords” were rather powerful and reliable for that time. They were manufactured in 1915-16, 48 units were made in general.
“Ostin-Putilovets” – armoured vehicles of the Russian Empire on the basis of rear-driven truck chassis of the British company “Austin”. They were different from the armoured cars “Austin” built in Great Britain for the Russian Amry in 1914-17.