St. Andrew’s Church is one of the symbols of Kiev, Ukraine, which is also famous abroad. It is an Orthodox temple named after St. Andrew the Apostle. It was built in 1749-54 by the order of Empress Elizabeth on the place where had been erected the cross by St. Andrew during his trip to the North. The architect of the construction was Bartolomeo Rastrelli who was also famous for being an author of such structures as Mariinsky Palace in Kiev, Winter Palace in St. Petersburg and the Catherine Palace in Pushkin.
St. Andrew’s Church was repeatedly restored. When it lost support from the royal court it started to decay. Ground water eroded the foundation, cracks appeared in the walls and the decor was partially damaged. Some elements of Rastrelli were lost during the restoration in 19-20th centuries. The initial shape of the domes was also slightly changed. Throughout the XX century significant restoration works were repeatedly carried out: a new drainage system was built, the columns were strengthened, as well as the walls; the iconostasis, the arches, the cornices and the marble floors were repaired, the lost fragments of the sculptures and carving were renewed, the paintings were restored.
In the 70-80s of the last century new restoration works were carried out based on the drawings of Rastrelli.
The church some time before the restoration of the 1970-80s.
The condition of the church right before the restoration.
The restoration of the 70-80s began.
And this is how it looked after.