“Novomoscovsky Azot” (“New Moscow Nitrogen”) was the plant where during the war one type of Molotov cocktail was developed. It is romoured to be abandoned but it is not. Th huge plant is still functioning and is ready to welcome us on its territory.
The plant has so many various pipes!
It’s the control panel where they monitor different technological processes.
They started to build the plant in 1929 when the Soviet authorities started to realize the industrialization of the country. The first products were already made in 1933. By the beginning of the war the plant became one of the world centers of chemical industry and gave dozens of tons of ammonia, nitrate, nitric acid and other substances. However the war changed this all. For the Germans the city was one of the strategic sites. Already in the first months of the war the plant started to be bombed. Some production was evacuated to the east, what remained was exploded.
But already by the end of 1942 the plant continued to work on the same place. Here is when they started production of Molotov cocktails.
The plant is still considered one of the largest companies of Russia. They produce a great part of all Russian chemicals.
So it turned out that the plant is not abandoned and is even developing. A new shop was built in 2008. It gives 4350 tons of produce every day. Now it is the largest urea producer in Europe!
Urea (nitrogen fertilizer) is formed during the reaction of ammonia and carbon dioxide at high temperature (about 200 C degrees (392 F)).