We are back at the Engels air base in the Saratov region. This place has always a lot to show but this time we are going to concentrate on the two airplanes: Tu-95MS (a large, four-engine turboprop-powered strategic bomber and missile platform) and Tu-160 (a supersonic, variable-sweep wing heavy strategic bomber).
The first flight of its prototype 95-1 was performed in 1952. Alas, during the seveteenth flight the prototype crashed and out of eleven people aboard four died. But it didn’t stop the tests and soon the aircraft was put into service.
Tu-95MS – carrier of cruise missiles H-55 with a nuclear warhead.
Continuing the tradition that was born in the end of the twenties – beginning of the thirties of the last century – some aircrafts are named after heroes of the Soviet Union, as Tu-160, or after Russian cities, as Tu-95MS.
Il-62 RA-86556. VIP board of the Polish leaderÂ Edward Gierek. It was named Â«Frederyk ChopinÂ». Poland gave it for repair in 1980. Since 1988 it has been standing in Engels.
On the 30th of July, 2010, a new world record of non-stop flight was set – the bombers flew 30 thousand kilometres over the three oceans, having refuelled four times in the air.