9 The Main Battle Against France Turns 200

The Main Battle Against France Turns 200

Posted on September 10, 2012 by team

This must have been one of the largest staged historical battle in Russia. Several thousands of people from more than 120 military and historic clubs of Russia, the USA, Canada and European countries took part in it.

The Battle of Borodino fought on September 7, 1812, was the largest and bloodiest single-day action of the French invasion of Russia and all Napoleonic Wars, involving more than 250,000 troops and resulting in at least 70,000 casualties.

This reconstruction was devoted to the 200th anniversary of the battle. It's going to be a real time journey!

We thought glasses didn't exist then...

9 Responses to “The Main Battle Against France Turns 200”

1. Takolander says:

I wish they could make a new movie about it! I’d also want movies about the wars with the turks, the golden horde, the tatars…and something about Rurik, Ivan the terrible, Peter the great [rambling continues]…

• vla says:

if u want to see battle of borodino u can watch
      “war and peace” its one of the best and the most expensive movies ever made !
      “orda” “mongol” – for your wishes about golden horde. “tzar” about Ivan, or just watch old but gold one from ’44. “turkish gambit” for turks.
      I dont know where are u from, but here is the site with great russian movies http://my.opera.com/russkifilm/blog/ (if these is legal :))) )
      if u are from russia I bet u have already watch majority of those films but I hope this site can help u anyway

• Takolander says:

Awesome! Thanks! Will start digging around. I’m from Finland originally (swedish speaker), but I’m living in Sweden now (my family moved back after 1000 years LOL). Russian history is very dramatic, never a dull moment. Oh yeah, I’ve seen “Mongol”…loved it!

• vla says:

so if I understood you well – you came back to land of your ancestors.
          russian movies are great, its so different movie style. more realistic, hard to find “happy end” in russian movie , just like real life is.
          enjoy those movies ! I hope this site is not too much complicated for use because its on serbian cyrillic .
          enyoj !

• Takolander says:

Yup, got that right. And there are even older SOVIET movies that rock, “STALKER” and “Idi i smotri”. No Hollywood cheesines at all :)

• b says:

You can also see it on youtube, mosfilm has their own channel where you can watch lot’s of Soviet era movies.

2. DouglasU says:

Better these pretend wars than the real ones.

3. too much vodka says:

At least battles back then made for a far better show than nowadays.