These are the photos of Soviet Arkhangelsk and its neighborhood. The city was formerly known as Archangel. It is located next to the exit into the White Sea. It had been the chief seaport of medieval Russia until 1703.
A booth in 1920.
A repaired timber yard, 1920.
Visiting the villages of the Subarctic region, 1925.
Spring of 1926.
The elevator for hay harvesting is a new device, 1926.
A group of engineers of a sea college, 1929.
The village next to the timber yard, 1930.
The family is celebrating Easter, 1930.
The meteorological station next to the White Sea, 1930.
The Georgy Sedov, 1930.
Dogs are a reliable means of transportation in the Subarctic region, 1930.
Remote regions of the city, 1930.
Music school for children, 1936.
At the Youth Theater, 1937.
A kindergarten, 1939.
A volleyball team, WWII.
In a hospital, 1943.
Transportation of the wounded in a hospital, 1943.
A volleyball match in the yard, 1943.
The emigree are collecting birds’ eggs at Novaya Zemlya (New Land). 1949
A party at an apartment, 1950.
In a shop, 1950.
Modest range of products in a shop of New Land, 1950.
Timber harvesting, 1951.
Next to the river, 1952.
A school, 1953.
Graduates of 1957.
The combine of Lenin. 1960.
Sea port, 1960.
Photography class, 1960.
“Archangelsk”. Railway station, 1960.
By the way, the city was founded by the Russian Tsar Ivan the Terrible in 1584. Peter the First visited the place thrice. There is a monument to the legendary person on the bank of the Northern Dvina. In 2009 our town was called “The Town of Military Glory”. Ordinary people, women, children who worked during the War, heroes, scientists and researchers made a great contribution to the Victory in WWII.