38 In the Army 2011

In the Army 2011

Posted on July 8, 2012 by team

The draft season is almost over. Some soldiers leave, some come back. These are some photos taken in the army last year.

The most solidary are guys from the Caucasus.

38 Responses to “In the Army 2011”

1. geoff says:

Make friends with the blokes in supply, and the blokes in the kitchen, and the people in the pay office, oh and the blokes in …..

Silly jokes aside, how many of the guys that are drafted into the army would stay on and sign up for another term as a volunteer (as a percentage, say) just wondering. And what concert do the guys still remember ?

• (r)evolutionist says:

geoff, those little lovelies (with flowers in their hair) could be singing Hank Williams’s Greatest Hits (in his nasally twang) and it would still be memorable (and not for the the twang, either).

2. vorontsevich says:

Making friends is good, as long as you dont ask them for too many favors. Get caught by an officer and you will regret it.

Only the MoD knows the exact figures, but I reckon only one out of every five conscripts enlist.

They remember the concert not particularly because of the entertainment, but the girls :D

3. Jonny says:

You better make friends with the older soldiers so you are not getting as**aped..

4. commie says:

Why on ER is allowed to put crypto-fascist comments of holocaust deniers, but not allow to put pro-communist comments? Why is so-called “pro”-russian ER don’t allow any pro-russian coments?

• vorontsevich says:

ER has never been pro-Russian. I’ve had the same problem, even though my comments aren’t exactly “commie” stuff.

• -Zlodey- says:

Too bad many western commentators don`t even know who are communists and what is communism.
        So yes, many “pro commie” posts here – “pro russian” in reality.
        BTW, there is no more real “communists” for 20 years already. Russian communism is dead, people, who name yourself “russian communists” today, just posing as communists, nothing more.

• vorontsevich says:

You cant say that communism is dead. I know a lot of people who are communist ideologists.

But yes, Russia’s communists are a finished forces.

Ironically enough, the West would be quick to demonize everything about the KPRF (basically just the neo-communists), but when it comes to them being the opposition, they are the ultimate solution to our problems.

• Alkofunker says:

ER is pro-Russia, lol. Good joke!

5. Mees says:

What is true on what I read about the beatings somewhere? I’ve read that the new drafts get beaten a lot.

• vorontsevich says:

Not a lot. You get hazed though. But if you stand up for yourself, you’ll be fine. I learnt that after six months in though.

6. David says:

As a soldier in the American army, I must say that this has been a very interesting post. It has been quite fascinating to see into the lives of soldiers from other countries, and especially people who were once considered ‘enemies’ of the US. I greatly respect the soldiers of the Russian Army. They all look like young kids about my age (20 years old) and I would hate to have to fight them.
    Respect from America. :D

• -Zlodey- says:

Most of russian conscripts are 18 years old.
      But they can kick *ss even at such young age.
      Too bad America (not american people, but gouverment) didn`t want to be our friend even today.

• Alkofunker says:

Thank you for your comment, David.

Peace!

7. Number says:

Damn!!They are all looking at me……….:-)

8. Serving one’s country is always very noble.

Much respect for those who do.

9. cro says:

they’re all gonna be heroes of Soviet union!

• vorontsevich says:

Lol. How? They gonna go back in time or something? Because AFAIK the Soviet Unions implosion took place 20 years ago.

• cro says:

Its a quote from Red Orchestra game ;)
        Of course they gonna be heroes of the Soviet union, Soviet union will emerge again, on the day when mr. Putin grows a mustache and combs his hair backwards!

• vorontsevich says:

Well. If thats the required criteria, then that will never happen, because Putin doesn’t exactly have loads of hair to comb backwards. :D

• Kessen says:

Looking at the uniforms, the hats, tryllios of medals, trucks and general look of the facilities I’d say the Soviet Union is alive and well! :D

• vorontsevich says:

Hate to break this to you, but the uniforms, the hats, the medals, and even the trucks have anything to do with the Soviet Union.

*dont have anything

• Guest says:

Really? Strange… the same hats were worn by several RedArmy (CA) officers in 80’s on streets of Prague, East Berlin and Warsaw.

We even made the jokes in late 80’s that each RedArmy officer is directly connected to central base via satellite dish hidden in his hat.

• vorontsevich says:

RED ARMY heritage, not entire Soviet Union. You people have this most admirable trait of taking my words, and twisting them.

• teaman says:

red army=soviet union=russia=moscow=death

• vorontsevich says:

Aren’t you a know-it-all. I’ve been living in the “Soviet Union=Russia” for 32 years now, I’ve been to Moscow twice, and oddly enough I’m still alive. I also did 90 months of service in the successor of the Red Army, still perfectly healthy. Was something supposed to happen to me? Lol.

ANd to those who think they know so much about Russian uniforms, the infamous Ushanka originated long before the Soviet Union was even thought of (so nothing to do with USSR). Then there is the kartuz. It was adopted into the IMPERIAL Russian army and became common during and shortly after the Napoleonic wars. (in case anyone doesn’t know, that took place a good hundred years BEFORE the Soviet Union was formed). It then evolved into the pinochetka (aka the peaked cap), and even that happened AFTER Russia became a separate nation.

So someone tell me, what do these Russian hats have anything to with the Soviet Union (apart from the Soviets inheriting and passing them on)?!!

• Guest says:

Really? For some people SovietUnion = RedArmy.

• vorontsevich says:

Some people, huh? It would be really helpful if those some people happened to be the ones who’s opinions mattered. But unfortunately bitter Poles and Czechs don’t count.

• CZenda says:

I do not remember that “satellite dish” joke, but I remember they were called “toilet lids”. Which also suggested the content present right under the hat :D

10. CZenda says:

Oh yeah. All conscripts are just dying for the day the draft comes. They are eager to spend their time in bleak barracks. They simply desire being shouted at by drill sargeants with IQ equal to a mentally challenged gorilla. I am very happy my son will not have to go through this as we have a professional army. Should he ever come up with the idea of joining it, I will have him read Catch XXII first. And now for something completely different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhrDrE4-mI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

• vorontsevich says:

Yes. The mighty Czech army. Doesn’t matter that you have less than 30,000 personnel. All of them are professionals (who anyone can distinguish, because even from afar they are so different from conscripts).

11. chemia says:

what a mess !!!

12. Guest says:

Dear Vorontsevich.
    30’000 of professionals can do the job better than 200’000 proscripts. Do not trust me, find examples in the history of Your own country (hint: Czechoslovak Legions 1918).

• vorontsevich says:

Yes. 30,000 professionals can do better than 200,000 conscripts. But how would they fare against 700-800 thousand professionals. Or take the combined numbers of the VDV and Spetsnaz (both of which are professional and are of a higher cailbre than your average soldier), a total of close to 60,000. I don’t know what kind of math they taught you, but that means the entire Czech army is outnumbered by two-to-one by just Russia’s elite forces.

Your move.

• Guest says:

Cool.
        30 k <<< 800 k. Math is ruthless.
        Regarding two-to-one outnumbering I take the liberty and use again example from the history of Your country where other country soldiers were outnumbered three-to-one, tanks 100-to-one, planes 30-to-one.
        Result: both sides signed the peace treaty.
        Casualties: 70 k theirs while over 300 k in SU.
        Hint: WinterWar.

All in all: 800 k soldiers in Russia is not too much nowadays, especially having neighbours like Russia has now. And I DO NOT MEAN Estonia, Latvia, Lietuva, Slovakia and Poland…

Use examples in Your answer, please.

• vorontsevich says:

Lol. You are the one that so kindly pointed out that professionals > conscripts. And you might not know this but (like a lot of westerners), but Russias military isn’t conscript heavy. 200-250 thousand conscripts, 300-350 officers (all volunteers and professionals) and 400-450 thousand enlisted men.

You quote the winter war (which was conscripts) I quote the 800 thousand current personnel (who are professionals).

You’ve misunderstood me. The entire Russian army outnumbers the Czech army by over thirty-to-one. The Czech army may be all professional, but the professional portion of the Russian army (~800,000) outnumbers the entire Czech army by more than twenty-to-one. And within those 800,000 there are even better trained and much tougher troops. The VDV (an elite force with 35-40 thousand) and the GRU Spetsnaz (Russian special forces with 18-20 thousand). So just those two formations alone, you’re outnumbered two-to-one.

I wasn’t talking about conscripts outnumbering the Finns. No, no, I’m talking about professionals outnumbering all but one of Russian immediate neighbors, China.

The only threats which the conventional forces cannot easily beat back are NATO and China, and they are the ones that will actually put off by the nukes.

So, pls, reply and don’t forget to mention battles and wars fought long ago, because the world and Russia hasn’t moved on since.

13. teaman says:

in russia is a one handsome man? Girls are very pretty