18 Moscow Trees: Then And Now

Moscow Trees: Then And Now

Posted on June 18, 2012 by team

Once Moscow was a green pleasant city. Today it is sooner a stone sack for dirty cars storage.

It’s hard to imagine that squirrels used to jump and birds used to sing on lime and chestnut trees of Moscow.  People even didn’t notice when they disappeared. Due to lack of care some of them simply died others were cut off. And a passer-by of today walks not in the shadows of wonderful trees by through cars parked in dusty streets…

The officials say trees can’t survive in so bad environmental conditions. It’s nonsense, of course. Trees still feel well in any part of Moscow. They were destructed just because they hampered car owners and businessmen. They covered bright shop windows, signs, banners, they prevented drivers from parking wherever they wanted.

However trees created pleasant atmosphere in the streets, because people still prefer walking among trees, not cars.

18 Responses to “Moscow Trees: Then And Now”

1. Jean says:

seems like you’ve got Paris as well in there ;)

2. m. says:

More cars more cars!

3. Maria says:

Moscow is still very green.

4. richard says:

Seems that Moscow has to learn its lesson. Many cities prioritized individual traffic over everything else. It’s just not scalable – At the end cities must reinvent themselves and provide a better environment for their citizens. More and more cities are banning or making it expensive to enter core urban areas. After a while this will happen in Moscow too – The traffic jams are already world famous! It’s just ironic – In a traffic jam everyone is the same – no matter what car they drive – All are stuck!

5. 山下智久 says:

有意思的图片…

6. (r)evolutionist says:

Trees are our cousins. (And very good cousins they are, too. I thank my cousin the Cottonwood every time I visit the desert while she shields me from the fanatic Sun.)

7. -Zlodey- says:

I must say, other russian cities saved way more threes, check some Rostov-on-Don photos for example.

8. Pfffff says:

Find the errors (17 & 18 : Paris !! ??)

9. skopeil says:

Moscow still green and still look interesting…

10. MK says:

I remember my daughters’ (8yo & 4yo) first visit to Moscow. While in a car they would suddenly go in a panic attack “Mommy, I can’t breath through!” They’d actually cry & scream for help. We do travel the world a lot, have been to South American, Asian countries, all over Europe & North America. Moscow & Lima in Peru have the dirtiest air of all. It’s actually dirtier than you ever thought was possible.

• Maria says:

You know, I do travel the world a lot too and I would never call Moscow a very dirty city. It’s probably not the cleanest one, but it’s definitely far from the dirtiest. Could it be, that you were in Moscow during the peat-fire 2010? It was a real disaster, but it happens once in many years. As somebody already said, Moscow is very green and interesting city.

11. Crispijn says:

Cars should move not stand still, the green trees should be part of the permanent exhibition of the Bouldevards otherwise a boulevard is just a parking.