21 Life of a Soviet Child

Life of a Soviet Child

Posted on June 10, 2012 by team

Also see this:

21 Responses to “Life of a Soviet Child”

1. Mercal says:

If it was so great why did people do anything to escape the police state?

Life controlled by Bureaucratic Government peoples is like living in containment.

Freedom cannot have a price tag.

• www says:

bla bla bla
      usa = nazi
      usa not freedom
      usa = lies lies lies

• OLUT says:

Nowhere on this article does it say “Life in USSR is great!” nor does it make comparison to the Western world. It’s just the story of one kid’s daily life. Ignoring all that and going straight to how bad Communism is kneejerk response, and makes YOU appear the believer of propaganda.

To a 10-year-old kid, life wasn’t all that different from West to East, or at least by 1987. You still go to school, study, help around the house, go to summer camp, have fun with your friends.

FWIW, I don’t want to go back to USSR days; I don’t want my mail read, my career and home decided for me, unable to travel the world if I want. Finland fought very hard, twice, to keep Communism OUT, and it worked, thank goodness! But I think it’s ridiculous to look at photos of one kid’s life and go straight to “OMG Communism BAD!”

2. YJ says:

Freedom ain’t free. Eventually freedom will cost the freedom you already have.

3. geo says:

I d like to see Katya now :)

• OLUT says:

Me, too! It would also be interesting to hear what she thought of this book back then, and how is her life now.

4. Nergol says:

Since this was a Japanese photo book from before 1998, I’m surprised the children have any clothes on.

5. CZenda says:

Repost! BTW, how do I get rid of the annoying 2leep window?

6. Moola the Slave Girl says:

E.R., your memory is fading, we already did Katya some time ago- funny jokes made on that post about her having no teeth after being sent to a Gulag.

7. Satan the stoned says:

Judging from the comments these Soviet kids had a better childhood than most posters :)

8. belzebub says:

Don’t you realize that’s just a propaganda? Real life in soviet union and other communist countries was gray, dull and not very happy.
    I remember seeing similar images in tv and in newspapers back then but everybody knew that it was either staged, or that was “special” school for VIP communist children.
    It sickens me when I see anyone gloryfying those times :(

• Clarrington says:

Sorry dude, you’re wrong. I was living in those times in one of those countries. It was better in those times than now. We were happy, educated, life was not gray. I had the same kind of school. I was in summer camp in every year. I was twenty, when system has changed, so I spent second half of my life in this brave free new world. Now I have twenty-twenty years of two systems to compare. I can say, when you read or hear, we have suffered in the past, so that is propaganda.

9. T Ratio says:

I wonder if Katya would prefer things now?

10. SSSR says:

The arcade games bring back memories,They all were just a quarter!

11. Ali says:

Reality is that people accept the life as it is. It wasn’t as good as royal’s life in GB, but it was much better that half of this world lives now. Not much freedom, no politics, very straightforward. At the same time security, no wars, no hunger, free medicine (sort of). Developed culture, it was very different, with just a few artists dominating, but they were talented. Everybody was watching almost the same movies, shows. Relatively low street crime. It doesn’t look good by western standards, but it’s honest to say the life was better that most Africans, of Latinos, or Indians have now. Predictably that was a way in nowhere in long terms. The worst thing that with tsar Putin it didn’t get better, and is not going to in observable future. “Oil rich cleptocracy”.

12. Tripper says:

Life is hard anywhere you go