17 Unique Photos of the Chernobyl Catastrophe

Unique Photos of the Chernobyl Catastrophe

Posted on April 26, 2012 by team

These photos of the Chernobyl catastrophe have never been published before. They are unique. The author of the photos can be called a hero, what do you think?

17 Responses to “Unique Photos of the Chernobyl Catastrophe”

1. Dimi says:

“The author of the photos can be called a hero, what do you think?”

Well, I think the real hero’s are the people working on the ground. They are the ones trying to contain the radioactive fallout while being exposed to extremely high levels of radiation.

Anyway, nice gallery though! :)

2. scud-werfer says:

I DO NOT FEAR the nuclear energy!!!

3. jaap says:

Is this poor chap still alive????

• dcc says:

There were 4 guys who took photographs: Igor Kostin (worked for Novosti), Volodymyr Repik, Valery Zufarov and Anatoly Rasskazov (Photographer working for the Chernobyl NPP). Zufarov died in 1993, Rasskazov died in 2010. Kostin is alive, but constantly ill. Don’t know about Repik, though. They all received incredible ammounts of radiation.

They were heroes in their own way, no less than all the liquidators or the miners from around the USSR who worked in that terrible disaster.

• Augis says:

I am not sure that those who sent them to make pictures gave the truthful information of how dangerous it was.

I myself remember TV reports trying to persuade Soviets that nothing serious happened. Reporter would stand in Chernobyl shortly after the accident and say into camera:

“Nothing is wrong. Look, I am standing here without any protection and everything is fine.”

• Connor T says:

Could have said it better myself.

4. Serenity says:

That whole area will be stuck in 1986 for an eternity.

5. nicolas from France says:

Chernobyl, Fukushima and more, what’s next ?
    I live in France and we have more than 58 reactors
    Some troubles happened but ever “no risk” but we don’t know the truth each time

6. Daniel says:

In some of those photos the film is fogged from the radiation.

7. jaap says:

Thanks for this reply,!! this disaster is still fresh in my memorie, and i have great respect for all man and woman who worked in this hell!!!

8. Number says:

Who will get the leftovers?

9. Hirsh says:

Stupid know-it-all facebook comments…

10. Raud says:

But these are not pictures of the disaster. They are pictures of the construction of the gigant casing structure. Get your facts straight!

11. javox says:

the reactors still workin, they cant stop it till couple of hundries of years i guess….is not that easy

12. Dan says:

Last I heard the structure being build in these images was eroding away and talks were going on on how to repair the structure from collapsing and allowing more radiation to leak out. But I haven’t heard anything about it in a while. Now I’m curious.