When a building is under renovation it’s quite easy to enter it. So the author of the photos got onto the roof of “Moskva” hotel to take these pictures.
Today not so many people wish to see the mummy…
It used to be different in the 1930s
Pokrov Cathedral built in the times of Ivan the Terrible
Voskresensk gates with Chapel and Vestry of Iberian Icon of Mother of God. The gates were removed in 1931 because they prevented tanks from entering for parades. In 1994-96 they reappeared here.
Here is how they used to look
Spire of the Voskresensk gates
Roofs of the upper trading houses built in the pseudo-Russian style in 1889-93. In 1953 it was turned into GUM.
Fragment of the Moscow municipal duma building decor. In Soviet time it was a museum of Lenin.
Here it is on the old photo
Christ the Saviour Cathedral was demolished in the 1930s like many other constructions connected with religion. It was replaced by the largest in Europe swimming pool.