Syzran Power Plant is one of the oldest in Russia. It is located in the picturesque bend of the Syzranka river. The capacity is rather modest but it still works being a monument of history and architecture at the same time. It's nice that there are still people who are indifferent to the object.
The plan helps to understand where and what is situated.
1. Syzran reservoir with level 37,5 m and length about 20 km.
2. Spillway part of the dam has 14 bays each 6m wide.
3. Syzran power plant represents a hydroelectric power plant of diversion type.
4. Syzran bend pretty much resembles Samara bend in miniature.
5. Saratov reservoir.
6. Diversion canal.
7. Building of the power plant.
Syzran reservoir looks beautiful in dull winter weather.
Diversion canal bringing water to the head race of the power plant.
This is how it looked in 1929. In 1994-2000 the power plant underwent capital repairs of the hydro systems and the canal, steel plating of the walls.
It's interesting that no special valves or cranes at the canal entrance are provided. It's a truck crane and mother wit to help out.