15 Soviet Aircrafts Riga Got After the USSR Collapse

Soviet Aircrafts Riga Got After the USSR Collapse

Posted on April 4, 2012 by team

Near the airport of Riga there is a strange museum - only one person takes care of it - Victor Talpa. It seems he likes this work and may tell many stories about the air exhibits.

Tu-22

According to Victor nobody is interested in the museum. But maybe nobody simply knows that it exists?

Hundreds of people 300 m away from the museum wait for their flights, how can it be that no one wants to see the aircrafts?

Someone would tell that all the planes are old and decaying, but does new equipment go to museums?

15 Responses to “Soviet Aircrafts Riga Got After the USSR Collapse”

1. alb says:

It’s not that bad. I’ve been there several times. One of the main problems is that the museum is closed very frequently. It hasn’t got decent working hours and is open when the owner wants. But it is a wonderful place to visit, if lucky.

2. Adam says:

Every time I’ve flown to Riga I’ve seen these planes and helicopters, and every time I’ve just though it was some sort of scrapyard, and not a museum.

• James says:

Is there a difference between Russian scrap yards and museums?

• Tillerman says:

That is a sad comment. You’ve got to remember that these countries are very poor -compared to Western Europe and US standards. No state funding whatsoever, only entrance fees and donations. I’ve seen this museum and it has a fine atmosphere.

• Martins says:

Imagine a technics museum that runs without any funding – it’s a miracle that the most of those aircrafts are still in one piece. Not talking about painting or getting back in working conditions…

3. George Johnson says:

Most people don’t like to leave the airport while they’re waiting for a flight. They’re afraid they’ll miss it.

4. JC says:

I’ll be visiting sometime…does it have a website?

5. iii says:

Onliest in Baltics?

What about aviation museum in Tartu, Estonia? It has over 20 planes and helicopters and all have been nicely restored and museum has been there for over 10 years already…

• anonymously says:

Perhaps Latvia can learn something from Tartu museum…I don’t understand how people have so little respect for the past.

6. T800 says:

Looks awesome. If I were there I would for sure repair and flew some of those airplanes!

7. Martins says:

Tu-104A / Built in Omsk in 1957. The former private aircraft of L. Brezhnev. Burnt in Nakotnya (Yelgvsky region)

Pls change “Nakotnya” to “Nākotne”; and “Yelgvsky region” to “Jelgava region”, this is the correct wording in Latvian

8. rickunnis says:

I hope he finds the support he needs. That Mi-6 looks fantastic. :)

9. Tillerman says:

Both museums, in Riga as well in Tartu, are fabulous. I visited both museum and made some video: http://vimeo.com/14807583 for Riga, http://vimeo.com/14810224 for Tartu.

10. Tommo says:

“the museum had been created for 40 years. Officially it has existed since 1997″

And a great year 2037 has been so far!!