14 Armored Vehicles In Vladivostok

Armored Vehicles In Vladivostok

Posted on March 31, 2012 by

An armored vehicle near General Rozanov’s residence, 1919.

Few people know this car was manufactured in Vladivostok in 1919. It was also a left-hand drive car.

The idea of using cars for military purposes appeared shortly after the first automobile was manufactured. Thus, inventor Dvinitsky brought forward his plan to equip a car with rapid-fire weapons back in 1897 but he was denied. The first armored car was manufactured in France in 1905. It was powered with a gun and its armor width was 4.5 mm.

Testing an armored vehicle. Russia, 1906.

Another war triggered an arms race. Russia began purchasing armored vehicles from overseas.

Fiat Izhorsky, 1918.

Armored vehicles and trains made both in Russia and abroad were widely used in Russia during the revolution.

14 Responses to “Armored Vehicles In Vladivostok”

1. (r)evolutionist says:

To the American imperialists: Get out!! Do you know George III tried to persuade Catherine to send Russian troops to help smash the Colonists during the Revolutionary War and she refused (even though she hated popular rebellions)?

• Nergol says:

God Bless Her Majesty the Tsarina, then!

• OldBikr says:

Hello (r)evolutionist:

I believe you are correct. I wonder if you could tell me about something I heard many years ago.

I heard that Russia also sent a fleet out to keep the other European powers (England+France) off of the Americans’ backs during the Civil War, aka the War Between the States.

Is there any truth to this? Also, which situation do you want the “imperialists” to get out of? You were not entirely clear.

I’ll listen to you because, you seem to have a better knowledge of history than most people who post here.

• (r)evolutionist says:

Afraid I don’t know details, but yes, the Russian government supported the Union over the Confederacy (once again, the Russian rulers feared insurrections!), Don (below) is correct. I was only joking about getting out (I was referring to the U.S. interventions in Vladivostok and Murmansk)… still, my point was the U.S. has always been too aggressive in imperialistic pursuits (especially during the 20th Century). Thank you for the kind words.

2. D. Bunker says:

Jeez, man, get a life. All we did was send a few trucks. What have you got to say to all those Japanese troops?

3. OldBikr says:

I am not allowed a comment? I had a valid question for (r)evolutionist and it is not approved.

I asked if The Czar had sent a fleet to dissuade outside intervention in America during the War Between the States. I had heard something of the sort and do not know if it is true or not.

• OldBikr says:

Now my comment is back just as I sent a replacement, what is up with that?

• Don says:

I’m not a revolutionist,but still…
      Czar Alexander the Second was in a friendship with Lincoln. In 1863 two russian squadrons came to american Pacific and Atlantic coasts.In 1863 when happened great fire in San-Francisco rear-admiral Popov gave order to help locals. In 1964 they helped with fire in Annapolis. There was an order that if “South” will act agressive with Popov’s fleet,russian ships will fire at them. At Atlantic side there was a secret pact that if England will attack USA,the fleet of rear-admiral Stepan Lesovsky will take a part in war under command of Lincoln.

• Don says:

Sorry, not “1964” but “1864”

• OldBikr says:

Wow thank you. This is a part of history that is sadly neglected in America. I think if we knew more of things like this maybe we would be better for knowing them.
        I am horrified at the gaps of ignorance found in contemporary American history.

Where can I go to confirm and possibly get more information to write about this?

Again, I thank you Don, with the dates you gave and other information I might be able to make an efficient web search.

• andy says:

The July/August 2012 issue of Russian Life (www.russianlife.com), page 38:
          “Abe and Alex”, excellent article on the Russian fleet being harbored at New York and why. Undoubtedly in Wikipedia as well. Russian Life is published in Vermont.

4. le_professeur says:

Hey, that’s from my post, not from the source you provide (he reposted mine)

5. andy says:

STory about Russian fleet harbored at New York City during the Civil War is well described in July/Aug 2012 issue of Russian Life magazine. I found the story fascinating, and yes, Americans need to be taught these historical facts.