23 Weird Soviets

Weird Soviets

Posted on March 15, 2012 by kulichik

When the first informal groups appeared in the USSR, the authorities of the country thought them to be just crazy young guys. And when they ran out of control, it was too late. The members of the unofficial organizations differed too much from other Soviet people.

23 Responses to “Weird Soviets”

1. Theebeatnik says:

Wicked!

2. jock says:

sweet! they’ve even got a teddyboy and a greaser

3. Sniff says:

Moskva-skins! Übercool!
    By the way, most of these kids have more originality than todays plastic-comercial-bimbos!

4. OLUT says:

These are so cool! So many memories… these people remind me much of my old punk-rock days.

• Tovarich Volk says:

You too, huh? Then again, Punk in Russia and the East Bloc in general was a LOT more subversive that it ever was over here.

5. Piotr says:

The authorities should have sent them to the Gulags right away for rehabilitation.

6. Matlok says:

The good old days! Today everyone is just a cookie cutter image of everyone else, and styles have not changed much over the last 20 years.

7. IamI says:

All eastern block countries young people looked similar ;)

8. (r)evolutionist says:

Hipsters, rebels, beats, punks, hippies, and is that G.G.Allin on Red Square?

9. Mercal says:

All eastern block countries people look similar because they had no money to buy clothes to look different. East Germany was still in the same condition after WW2. I know I live in West Germany the Soviet Union destroyed it.

• ayaa says:

You destroyed your own country, and now you’re trying to pin the blame on others. Nice.

• Tovarich Volk says:

Mercal, In the old days, punks always made do with what they could scrounge up from whatever sources, as they didn’t have the cash to buy over priced cr** at some fancy ‘Punk Boutique’ like Hot Topic or what have you.

Also Ayaa, I’m not in any way supporting Mercal’s comment, but Brezhnev did a first rate job of running the old Soviet Union into the ground, so in a way your comment seems to be like the pot calling the kettle black.

• ayaa says:

point taken

• ayaa says:

But you dont hear me blaming everyone else for Russias problems.

On the other hand, Mercal, (except for when he is busy claiming Russia to be 100% militarized or that Russia is the USSR), makes sure in every comment that he blames Russia/USSR for all of lifes problems.

10. m says:

Kids being kids. Although I did count 2 confederate flags which is a little odd for Russia.

11. john says:

even odder is the guy wearing a RUN DMC t shirt standing beside the Motorhead guy. not something you see every day. the only cross over Run DMC did was with Aerosmith.

12. Natasha says:

The guy holding the skull is hilarious :D very nice set of photographs.

13. SSSR says:

They were expressing themselves!That is what freedom was all about.Although I don’t think the CCCP had much freedom,so they were rebels!

14. Tommo says:

oh god, what a pack of dweebs, they’re just not Nina Hagen

15. Brünn says:

an intellectual/experimental movment?? or just a bunch of 90´s junkies? if they are in amerika, just do the second. some pics are fun, like the guy holding the skull. others like the guys with the confederate flag…..uhmmm no comments.

16. Jo says:

They’re not at all weird. They’re like every other group of teenagers from those decades. I love that they had the courage to be themselves. I can imagine they grew up into happy adults.

I only wonder where they got some of the clothes they were wearing. I don’t believe that they had access to certain clothes in their stores.