Today, we are going to visit the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, namely its power-generating unit number 4.
Near the power units, they have built a nuclear waste disposal factory.
This is a well-known view of the four reactors and a snow-covered side channel.
Nuclear power plants showed a lot of advantages over other power plants such as reliability, safety, low electricity price and level of pollution of the environment.
Nuclear physics was developing really fast in the USSR and its achievements were used for both military and civilian purposes. The Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant was built during this very period.
In 1967, they chose a site to build a nuclear power plant, it was 12 km from Chernobyl, Ukraine.
They decided to use RBMK-1000 reactors (High Power Channel-Type Reactor) at the plant.
Construction works of the fifth power unit began in 1981. They planned to put it into operation by 1986, however, they had to freeze the construction after the Chernobyl Disaster (when the unit was almost completed).
The project included additional accident control measures such as installation of two extra diesel generators, separate fire-control units and ventilation systems, reconstruction of the accident locating system and replacement of the bituminous roofing with fire-proof roofing.
However, in 1987, it was officially declared that they were not going to continue the construction of the power unit.
You can still see those giant constructions unfinished.
They stopped using these wires to supply electricity to the regions in 2000.