10 A Journey To The Exclusion Zone Of Chernobyl

A Journey To The Exclusion Zone Of Chernobyl

Many people don’t know the difference between Chernobyl and Pripyat. Chernobyl had been there before the nuclear power plant was built. But the city is now located in the exclusion zone that is very popular among tourists.

The city was first mentioned in 1193 when it was ruled by Poland. The word ‘chernobyl’ is translated from Ukrainian as ‘wormwood’.

Those who want to enter the zone need to get a pass for that.

10 Responses to “A Journey To The Exclusion Zone Of Chernobyl”

1. Ivan says:

Very nice pictures, the snow makes everything more beautiful :) I’d love to go there !

2. petrohof says:

so you are saying the radiation there is less than normal? maybe that is reversed?

• BC says:

Chernbyl town, at least the inhabited parts, has fairly low levels of radiation. Pripyat is a different matter – although they tried to clean it up, there are many areas of very high radiation. We were taken to a school courtyard which was particularly bad. So was the fairground.

3. todd says:

looks cold very cold.

4. PKN says:

These pics show a whole lot of nothing, I expected to go into town, while instead we get to see a visitor centre and some artsy shots of a wire frame…

5. I wonder how many people know that the pipes for all the water services in Chernobyl Village have been moved above ground. The entire place is little with a mass of spaghetti leading to a fro.

When I visited, I was amazed to see the amount of people still active within the village, running the few shops and manning the checkpoints/fire stations.

6. D says:

anyone know what 20mkr/hr is converted to millisievert?

• BC says:

I measured 0.10 microsievert/hr in the Chernobyl Interinform offices. Chernobyl town itself is relatively “clean” – I bought one of the dosimeters they rent out to tourists and it usually measures about 0.16 uSv where I live…

7. firebird_1979 says:

Nice pictures. There’s a huge amount of pictures/information about the area here as well, from a lady that goes there just about every year (on a motorbike):