9 Moscow Of The 60s

Moscow Of The 60s

Posted on January 31, 2012 by

These are photographs of Moscow found in an album that belonged to Murray Howe. The photographs reflect the city the way it was in the 60s. Enjoy!

A Christmas tree in the Kremlin.

Central squares.

9 Responses to “Moscow Of The 60s”

1. IamI says:

Except for Kremlin and rail terminals all buildings shown appears to be in either matches box / simple cuboid shape or ‘socreal’ (which is neither soc nor real ;)

• CZenda says:

The “matchbox” is quite typical for the turn of 50s/60s. Look at e.g. “Cite Radieuse” or whole Brasilia.

• IamI says:

Yeah, but Brasilia was built from the scratch in the center of nowhere (and started in 60s, consisting of many more shapes different from match boxes), and was a big but mistaken idea of dehumanized city. I know that Moscow has centuries of history, but it looks that almost all the downtown was rebuild (included war devastation, but I guess that Moscow was not bombarded as heavily as many other cities in Russia).

• CZenda says:

I´ve never been to Brasilia, but I´ve seen the Cite Radieuse (and, indeed, it looks bleak – no argument here). However, if set in a well thought-through environment, they can still provide cheap and comfortable living. There is very visible difference between prefab housing estates built during 60s and 70s/80s where I live. The older ones are, broadly speaking, urbanistically much better than the newer ones.

2. historian says:

Lushkov and the clique from leningrad ruined the city.

3. remember1 says:

Dude! Stop to mislead people!!! Picture #2 – under communist there were no Christmas! Remember? There was no God either! This were “Holiday of New Year” only!

4. Misha says:

Thank You very much. You bring me back in really nice period of my life! (I live in Moscow few years later, but everything is the same!!!

5. skopeil says:

Russia look so peaceful back in the 60’s…

6. javox says:

i guess it was the last years of nice times….after the 70s everythin started commin down so bad