Plesetsk Cosmodrome is a spaceport, located in the Arkhangelsk Region. It was originally developed by the Soviet Union as a launch site for intercontinental ballistic missiles. On January 11, 1957 the Soviet Government passed the resolution about the foundation of a special military object with secret name ‘Angara’. This secret object had to be situated in Plesetsk District, the Arhangelsk Region. It was named after the town of Plesetsk. The first Soviet Combat formation of intercontinental ballistic missiles R-7 of General designer Koroljev had to be located in that place, in thick northern taiga to the south of Arhangelsk.