30 The Battle For Moscow: Retro Photos

The Battle For Moscow: Retro Photos

Posted on November 28, 2011 by

The Battle of Moscow is the name given by Soviet historians to two periods of strategically significant fighting on a 600 km sector of the Eastern Front during World War II. It took place between October 1941 and January 1942. The Soviet defensive effort frustrated Hitler's attack on Moscow. Moscow was one of the primary military and political objectives for Axis forces in their invasion of the Soviet Union. Check out the collection.

30 Responses to “The Battle For Moscow: Retro Photos”

1. geoff says:

A lot of people here call Australia the lucky country for a range of reasons. One reason is that we have never had to endure a war of any kind on our own soil. The Japanese did bomb Darwin in the Northern Territory but it was very small damage. And my father did fight against the Japanese in WW2 but that was in New Guinea. Dad was 30 years in the army and my brother was for 9. As for me, if I picked up a gun I would shoot my own head off. After 60 years there are old people here that still do not like German or Japanese people. My father had special names for them both. Dad didnt talk much of the war but it was enough to convince my brother he should join the army.

On me it had the opposite effect. I am convinced no one should join.

Yes I know……….even my own brother sometimes wants to shoot me.

• ayaa says:

Sad. Great sacrifices made by the common people.

• ayaa says:

Oops. Sorry geoff. That wasn’t supposed to be a reply but just a comment.

BTW, if your father convinced your brother to join the military, why not you? (and pls don’t tell me you are buddhist again)

• geoff says:

ayaa When I was 5 years old my aunties neighbor grabbed a chicken that was in her back yard and cut its head off, blood splashed on me and the chicken ran off across the yard, blood was everywhere. The next day was christmas dinner and they said this is chicken from next door, I made a fuss and would not eat my dinner. Not long after I was in hospital for a few nights for a small operation. They put my dinner down, it was roast meat, I asked what it is made of and they said it is a cow. I was horrified that that people would kill a cow for dinner. For a while I had night mares about blood squirting out from my dinner. My mum took me to the doctor to find out if I would die from not eating meat. She took me to a child psychologist to see if they could make me normal. In the end I was allowed to grow up not eating meat.

I have known that we do not need to kill animals to survive, and that no animal willingly gives up its life so somebody can eat it. Nothing wants to die, everything has a survival instinct probably as strong as ours. Over my life my belief that I should not hurt an animal has become the belief that I should not hurt anything especially people.

• Jim-Bob says:

War is a horrible thing and no one hates it more than those who have experienced it first hand. That being said, it is sometimes necessary due to the nature of man. Man is inherently evil in nature and while most of us do not wish evil upon our fellow man, there are enough that do that it may one day become necessary to fight to defend all you hold so dear. This is why many people own guns. It is not that they wish to shoot another person but rather that they realize that a day may come when someone wishes them harm and they may need to take a life in order to preserve their own or those of the innocent in their charge. Pray that your life never comes to that point but realize that it could. If it ever did, would you be happier if you had a gun and the knowledge to use it or be happier that you were on the losing end of a one gun fight? This is not to say that having a gun in a guarantee of outcome but rather that it is a tool that gives you more options.

• too much vodka says:

The chances that people will cause an accident with their gun or will use it against people in their house or neighbourhood as a result of some heavy quarreling or psychological distress are much bigger than that they will ever need to use it in a regular gunfight with gangsters threathening their life. In countries where owning weapons is heavily restricted or even banned there are less casualties from guns than in countries where the possession of guns is free.

• Bub says:

Geoff, I understand Australians not like the Japanese, but the Germans??

What have the Germans ever done against Australia??

Has Australian freedom and independence ever been in danger from the Germans??

The fact that any Australians died fighting the Germans in both wars is the sole fault of the Australians and their British masters at the time.

2. Pedro says:

make love not war.
    But fortunately the russians kicked nazi asses. Just imagine how the world could be like if the nazis conquered moscow…

And it’s very important to remember this atrocities so they didn’t fall into forgetfulness and to avoid it doesn’t happen again.

About lucky countries… you known there are more countries in the world right? and even in europe countries that didn’t even took part in WWII and remained neutral from day 1 to the end like my country Portugal.

• j pigden says:

It’s not just Nazis we need to remember! Don’t forget the mess Stalin created, and Franco, and Mussolini, and Hirohito, etc. The biggest problem is hindsight; later we look back and say, why didn’t we stop them!

• too much vodka says:

Yes, and it is not only the obvious evildoing dictators which you have to watch out for. Also democratic countries fought wars they never should have fought: the French in Indochina or Algeria, for instance, or the Americans in Iraq, or the Russians and Georgians over South Ossetia (without judiging who was right or wrong, these wars could and should have been avoided).

3. yojimbo says:

What do you mean by “if I picked up a gun I’d shoot my own head off”? Are you saying that you would purposefully kill yourself or that you are very uncomfortable around firearms?

Some people are always going to join the military for one reason or another.Like myself I honestly joined because I hated school and all the games played there so I thought why go to college it is more of the same? And in the US the military pays much better than other mere high school diploma jobs so that is what I did.I tell different people different things about it for some they will do fine in the military others will not like but I never pressure anyone.Though I would never make my kids feel obliged to join because I did they can do what they want when they get older.

Some of what you say seems to be more of a family thing and them not liking your opinion about the military sounds like a poisonous relationship to me.

Honestly I would have been very willing to fight if I lived in the Soviet Union back then because the Germans where planning on enslaving everyone I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.Sometimes there are good reasons to fight and not everyone can be reasoned with.

What if some person comes in your home with a knife and is gong to kill you?You either must fight to protect yourself or let him kill you.Most wars are not that direct but the war between the Germans and Soviets was like this to some extent.

• geoff says:

Yojimbo I mean I do not know any thing about how to use a gun, I would Not deliberately shoot myself. I had a pretty good relationship with my dad, he respected my opinions and decisions. My brother signed up for a bunch of reasons, mate-ship, money, dad did it, he had tried a few jobs that he didn’t like. He would not really shoot me but he can get frustrated by my way of thinking. He would say things like under what circumstances would I take up arms etc.

The thing is, that I have always been inspired by thinking like that in the following quote……“ The problems of the world cannot be solved by those whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask why not “. – John F. Kennedy

• Hirsh says:

Well John F. Kennedy had no problem taking up arms to defend himself and his country.

• Hirsh says:

He also made a few other memorable quotes. such as…

“A man does what he must — in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers, and pressures — and that is the basis of all human morality.”

“Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

“Our goal is not victory of might but the vindication of right — not peace at the expense of freedom, but both peace and freedom, here in this hemisphere and, we hope, around the world.”

• geoff says:

I said “thinking such” as that which inspired that quote. I do not believe Kennedy came up with that quote or any of his others, his script writers did. They were only saying what they thought the American public wanted to hear.

Maintaining neutrality means “sitting on the fence”. I do not sit on the fence. Have you actually read “Dante’s Inferno”.

• too much vodka says:

So you went to the army for the money, like every other mercenary.

4. I get a lot of white boxes with red X’s and when I click show picture nothing comes up.What happened.

5. (r)evolutionist says:

On Lenin’s mausoleum I see (L-R): Zdanov, Budyonny, Stalin, Malenkov, Mikoyan, Khrushchev, and “I don’t know?” And I might be wrong about Zdanov but it looks like him to me. Apologies if I’m wrong.

• (r)evolutionist says:

Sorry, it should be spelled Zhdanov… I also just read where Stalin’s Daughter Svetlana just died in Wisconsin (on 22 Nov.), aged 85; his last child.

6. Bub says:

Cool to see intelligent postings!!

7. Jean Ubota says:

I suggest that a russian, chineese and french language of this web site be made.

• Hirsh says:

Well then i suggest you take it upon yourself to provide translated pages for those languages. Well French and Chinese anyway, most everything here was taken from one Russian language blog or another in the first place.

• Hirsh says:

BTW what part of the name ENGLISH RUSSIA don’t you get? lol

8. Scout19K says:

I love it when idiots call people poofta…I also love it when EnglishRussia triple posts pictures! WIN WIN WIN!!!