29 A Photo Tour To The Soviet Past

A Photo Tour To The Soviet Past

Moscow Intourists 7

Thousands of tourists from the West visited Russia in 1960 and all had a camera with them. But only a couple of similar photos can be found on the Internet today.

Leningrad 1

A group of foreign tourists inside the bus at the border between the USSR and Finland.

Leningrad 2

First stop between Vyborg and Leningrad.

29 Responses to “A Photo Tour To The Soviet Past”

1. Hola! says:

Images are not representative, torn out of context and it’s boring. We saw it several hundreds times before. Put some more, those not from Moscow and Leningrad.

2. geoff says:

So clean and neat. What would the street vendor be selling from the white trailer.

Nostalgia…..its great……as long as it stays in the past.

• Mr. Cool says:

The white trailer is selling national drink KVAS, a sort of beer or lemonade made from rye with low alcohol content. Almost in every soviet photoset you can find such a kvas trailer, I guess it was like soviet Coca-Cola. I don’t recall seeing those trailers in St. Petersburg or Moscow couple of years ago, although you can find kvas in every convenience store.

• Robert says:

4 weeks ago I saw these Kvas-trailers in Krasnojarsk, yellow colored. But I think its like a fermented bread trunk.

3. Juxa says:

Very nice pix :-) Brought me right back to the past: the cars, the post box on the wall, people’s dress – avesome!

4. Erik says:

I disagree from hola, its cool to see how was and how is the russian/soviet daily life…

5. Douglas says:

The vendor is selling kvas –

6. dian says:

i like russian old style :)

7. Hirsh says:

lol, why is that mermaid guy raping some other poor sea creature in the park?

8. Alexander says:

You should at least have separated pictures of Moscow and St Pete, otherwise it’s a nice post !

9. Steamed McQueen says:

Except for the traffic, people and large new buildings a lot of it still looks the same.

BTW, last time I checked, the pebble street just down the road from the Admiralty still exists – but it can be difficult to travel because of so many cars parked along it!

Damn, I miss the place!!

10. Some says:

> Does the pebble pavement exist today?

It is the other way around. The roadway is asphalt now, whereas the sidewalk has a tile pavement.

11. yojimbo says:

I wonder if the people that are signing their marriage record are still married?It looks like the pictures where taken some time in the mid 60’s~early 70’s.

12. Otis R. Needleman says:

Nice pictures, but I’m glad I grew up in the USA during that time.

13. Vic says:

Mr Cool,

kvas is alcohol-free

• Mr. Cool says:

I understood that kvas is made by fermentation, so it must have at least small amount of alcohol in it.

• Hirsh says:

From what i recall… it’s legally not considered an alcoholic beverage but does have a low alcohol content, something like 1% at most? Could be much less.

What is Kvas exactly, is it brewed from bread or similar to the fermented teas in the U.S. like Kombucha? They’ve recently had problems with their U.S. labeling complying with the law due to it being fermented and the resulting small alcohol content. They pulled it from shelves for awhile while they retooled their brewing process and labeling.

OK, from what i gather KVASS and “TEA KVASS” are similar types of products, both Russian in origin? I didn’t know that. I do know i find fermented tea unpalatable, yuck.

14. vocab says:

cobble stones

15. Jozo says:

Just imagine what westerners thought when visiting Soviet Moscow and Leningrad. They were probably taught that it was a dirty hellhole, then they arrive and see this nice clean place full of life and culture…

• ChrisSmith says:

I can’t recall ever getting taught anything about Russia geography wise (except in a government class) in public school. Now when I was in DoD school, no we weren’t taught that it was dirty. It was clean because everyone had a job, whether it was an economically important job, or make work was the question.

• yojimbo says:

Not really that may have been the view of some yahoos but not really the general view.I never understand why people always go to the stereotypical propaganda induced view.
      There was propaganda both sides trying to convince you had bad and vile the other was I have seen old Soviet films of propaganda they show Las Vegas and New York and they also showed a rally in Georgia(the American state) by American Communist party members of course this was black and white people together and some KKK guy walked up and shot and killed some people.I dont know what the film says about it because it was in Russian.

• Hirsh says:

*ahem* If westerners thought it was a dirty nasty hellhole they would have never gotten on a tour bus and taken a vacation trip there in the first place. Quite the opposite. Think about it…

16. Great photgraphs E*R is like a LIFE magazine for the internet.I also was curious about what was in the white trailer.Thanks to the people who answered that it was a beverage called KVAS.

17. Kalasnikov says:

Yes.. Very beautiful houses and verry beautful old cars.. I remember the model of the cars from my childhood… russian cars are the mest resistant on the bad roads conditions….

18. John Wrexham says:

There’s something about photographs from the 1960s and 1970s. Were colours different back then or was it the film photographers used?