People who travel across the Crimea should visit Kerch. It’s a city located on the eastern part of the Crimean peninsula. Kerch, founded 2600 years ago, is considered as one of the most ancient cities in Ukraine and in the whole world. Today there are a lot of historical and architectural sights of different times there. So we offer you to see the city of Kerch and its main landmarks. Â
First we decided to visit Eni-Kali fortress (“A new fortress” in translation from Tatar). It was built in 1703.
July of 1700 was the year of signing the truce in Turkey’s capital according to which the Sultan gave to Russia Azov lands and Moscow stopped rendering tribute to Crimean Khan. At the same time fortifications were being built to withstand the future Russian invasion.
Many fortifications were being built at Azov coastline since 1699. The chosen position was located on the steep bank of Kerch.
The position was shielded by shoals and Turkish ships. Taman fortress served as a good rear.
This place is extremely hard for ships to pass. They were strongly attacked by shore weapons.
A new square-shaped fortress was walled. The fortified walls were risen up to 50 metres.
There was the main Black Sea defence stuff since then. The former control center and the old Kerch fortress were reserved.
The Eni-Kale garrison consisted of 2000 people, but usually about 1000 of soldiers stayed here. They were Turks mainly. Also there were tatar volunteers who were found in the nearest villages. They lived inside the fortress and got earnings from Sultans’s treasury.
Russia and Turkey signed a Truce Treaty on July 5, 1774. The 19 paragraph of the Treaty ran as follows: “Eni-Kale fortress and the city of Kerch located in the Crimea are held by Russia forever”.
In 1825 Eni-Kale lost its status because of the growing role of neighbouring Kerch. Thus began provincial life.
Next, we visited Tsar Mound. From a distance it looks like a hill.
Mounds began to be built inter vivos of the owner. The main room was built first and then came the passage called dromos. After the death the owner was brought into the main room through the dromos and then the whole structure was moulded.
The passage ceiling.